Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Computer Advice

Hi All i`ve just bought a rs232/usb adapter to connect my synscan controller to my computer but thr disc that came with it is a compact disc,can anyone offfer any help as to how i get drivers as the compact disc which is a smal disc will not fit in my disc drive:icon_scratch:

Regard

Mike

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most tray-loading CD devices have 2 'wells': one sized for a regular 120 mm CD, and a smaller, deeper well for the smaller 80mm Mini-CDs to fit into. So unless you're extremely unlucky, your drive should be able to accept the smaller sized CD.

Edit: Looks like you've already got that bit sorted out in between me reading this thread and composing my post.

When you plug the USB-232 in to the PC I assume you get a message saying something like Found New Hardware, then you are asked to allow Windows to find drivers(Recommended) or do it yourself. If you do it yourself you can point the driver installer at the CD then look for a folder called something like Drivers. The driver installer should scan the folder and its sub folders for the drivers you need.

Thanks Andy/Glider just psyching me self to have another go i do put in cd and can open it so i know its loaded on comp when asked by windows i let it do it stuff just keeps saying cannot find driver and in advance mode i go through searching for the file but check box does not function, i will let you know how i get on

cheers

Mike

If you just copy the disk to your hard drive - somewhere in there will be a .inf file. Note the pathname and run the installer - then direct it to that pathname when it asks - as it's a usb device, don't plug it in until after you install the software successfully (don't know why, but sometimes it just works) :(

Hi Brantuk Really do not know what i`m doing,have copied disc to a folder? installer file is there how do i find pathway?When i`m asked to specify location am asked to select type of hardware? then browse have tried a few but cannot workout what to put as to where to look,am pulling out whats left of me hair,if you have the time could you walk me throught the procedure, would be most greatfull,

Regards

Mike

Hi Demon - if you have copied it to the hard drive - go into that folder and if it has the installer file and sub folders then you'll have to search though them to find the .inf file. So the full path will look something like C:\copied folder\sub folder\file.inf

When you browse - browse to that directory - click "Ok" - and the installer should find it there.

Is the installer file a ".exe" or does it have ".zip" or something else on the end. And can you see sub folders? There's commonly one called "drivers" (but might not be).

"Type of Hardware" will usually have a drop down menu where you'd specify "USB device" but they ain't all the same so it might be called by another similar name :(

Update---just installed Keyspan usb serial adapter model no usa-19hs --ordered yesterday 4-00pm arrived today 10.50am!!!! took all of 30seconds --well i`ve learnt the hard way you only get what you pay for,thanks to all for your help and advice

Regards

Mike

Well i thought i was until i tried to run the the update! Followed instructions no bother when at last it said to press update button i got the message SynScan Firmware Loader (circle with red x) Read Beyond end of File, not sure what to do next:icon_scratch: .I did delete everything and reloaded it a second time----same end message any help taken ,

Regards

Mike

If I recall, the RS-232-USB cable I bought from Maplin also came with a disc, but I don't have a DVD drive on my laptop. I remember finding the driver online via Google. I think I searched for "RS+232+USB+driver".

For some reason my desktop (a much older machine) had a suitable driver already.

Can Anyone point me in the right direction to solving this error? What could be cause of: read beyond end of file: is this a corrupt file ext?

I have removed this programme and reloaded it twice, the handset connects but instead of getting a progress status i get the above error message.

There does not seem to be any help on the skywatcher website any thoughts welcome, i`m really frustrated now having spent so much time on such a seemingly simple update:icon_scratch:

Regards

Mike

Are you using the correct updater program on your PC? There are different ones on the Skywatcher website, you need the latest and the correct one for your mount type, EQ or AZ.

Are you using the correct update file for your mount? 3.27 is for an EQ mount, not an AZ mount.

If you ever have driver troubles again if you find the relevant .inf file, right click it and select install. When you then plug your hardware in Windows should be ok as it has the information already installed.

As for the current problem not sure as I've never updated my synscan handset. Might give it a try now that I have the serial/usb adapter. Will let you know how it goes and if I come up with any errors.

There's also a download for checking the connection by the way - it goes through all your ports to see if a handset is connected and tells you if there's a problem. This appears to be new (since my last update at least lol) :D

Archived