looking to get my first scope

I'd avoid that one - unbranded and the description is very suspect. You'll be much better to stick with well known brands like Skywatcher, Celestron, Meade etc through a reputable retailer like First Light Optics (see link above). Or buy s/h from another astronomer here, or astro buy sell - there are good bargains to be had and the gear will be well looked after and mostly excellent condition. :o

I agree entirely with brantuk - avoid that scope - it's typical of the "all that glitters is not gold" type which abound on E.Bay, unfortunately. The brands listed above are the ones to watch for plus I'd add TAL to that list which are solid scopes that usually go for very reasonable amounts used.

Hello Rob. Good luck with finding the right scope. I've been going around in circles for a while now trying to choose. All I'd say is be patient and do your research. Asking questions on this forum has helped me greatly.

hi all im new to SGL and im looking for my first scope.

I mainly want to use it to look at the planets and moon.

ive seen one on ebay but im not sure

NEW 6" Newtonian Reflector Telescope BLACK Huge Scope on eBay (end time 06-Oct-10 17:35:08 BST)

if you can help that would be a great help

rob

Also avoid the White telescope. Brands to give a miss to are Seben, Event Horizon, Sylvan, Visionary and any other brand that sell the 1400/150 telescope. There also a few second hand telescopes where the seller quotes the specification of the telescope as D=150 F=750 & F=1400. The makers of this particular telescope aslo sell a 750/150 with a spherical mirror and use the same carton as the 1400/150, also to be avoided.

Peter

Archived