Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Suffolk

Quatermass

hi thunder I try to remember that people write books and some people are better at explaining things then others also I try to go for books that have pictures and clear illustrations as that helps a great deal but your right and rereading stuff is just a habit now. Im sure I will love the new scope cheers!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Talitha, thanks for the welcome. Seems theres some famous people on this forum! I read your article in the sky at night magazine but have yet to try a bit of sketching. I do keep a log book of my observations though and in that I draw lots of cartoons as I used to work as a cartoonist in London back in my younger days for a music paper.

I was thinking of making up my own constellation patterns for a bit of fun and might just try sketching Jupiter in October as we have such a good view of it right now. Can't wait to see it through my new telescope when it arrives next week. I used to live in the states and grew up in West Virginia before my father moved to the UK where I have lived since the age of 11. I do remember the night sky's in america though, they always seemed so much bigger and brighter and of course the fishing was excellent. Hope the weather is better over there then it is here, if I do go sketching it will be indoors with a hot cup of coffee :o:)

Hi Markymoo thanks for the welcome, hows the night sky in london my daughter lives there and says the light pollution is pretty bad lucky for me I live in suffolk and Im near the Norfolk coast where the sky is bright and clear, when its not full of clouds that is :o

Hi Markymoo thanks for the welcome, hows the night sky in london my daughter lives there and says the light pollution is pretty bad lucky for me I live in suffolk and Im near the Norfolk coast where the sky is bright and clear, when its not full of clouds that is :o

It sucks!

Yeah, it's pretty bad here tbh. I'm in the suburbs so in fact it could be a lot worse... a few nights ago I was standing on the platform waiting for a train at Clapham Junction. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, but the only thing I could see in the sky was Jupiter.

I'm a few miles out from the centre and you can see stars from time to time, but the sky improves significantly if I drive 10 or 15 miles south trying to avoid the light from Guildford and Woking of course...). Sussex seems to be a good direction to head in for me.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi! Quatermass....what a name!! Brings back memories of being frightened WITless by Quatermass and the Pit on the old black and white telly when I was a youngster...Anyway, Welcome to SGL professor, from me in Sheffield, and clear skies to you.

Hi markymoo my be some good filters would help out, I lived in London back in the 80s in Earls court gotta say I'm happier out here in the country side now apart from the smell of cow muck and the strange locals, of which I am one now.

Hi Patrick thank for the welcome, Quatermass and the pit was a classic sci fi movie and I always loved that name almost as good as the Daleks and the cybermen. Hope the sky is clear for you over there we have had weeks of rain in suffolk but I am hoping it will be clear skys when I get my new telescope next week!:o

Hi glowjet and thanks very much for the welcome:) I am really impressed by the freindly people on this forum and it feels great to be part of such an intresting and helpful bunch of people. Looking forward to getting my new skywatcher 200p next week and having another go at those deep sky objects again :o

Hi Quatermass,

Clear skies for your new scope!

Hi Baz the excitment is mounting a cant wait to get out there with the new scope its going to be awsome! And with christmas coming I now what Im going to want under my christmas tree lol :o

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's such a joy to read comments from someone who is so excited about the arrival of their newly purchased kit - for me its what astronomy is all about, exploring the vastness of space and all the information that is known about it. There is always something to read about this subject be it equipment, science, personal experiences and general facts and figures.

Wishing you very clear skies for when the 'baby' arrives and let us all know how you get on with setting it up and what you first looked at!

James

Hi James, I am excited you can tell hey..:o

I got the bug several weeks ago after a long time just out the back garden with my binoculars trying to become familair with all the constillations. I am a keen fisherman and go fishing at night a lot so I have seen many wonderful nights full of stars but never really took the time to find out more about them. SO I decided it was time to do something about it and get to know the sky at bit better. Next stage was our local camera shop starting to sell sky watchers telescopes I went in and had a look at a few oh dear look out...

Next stage was the I want one I want one .. and my wife and I got the sky watcher 130. I rushed home with it and that night got my first look at Jupitar and its moons WOOOWWW.. I can see the moons going round it.. My wife was amazed as well. Then the moon blimy what a site all those craters and the terminitor passing over them looked really cool. So that was it I took the whole hook line and sinker and after only a few weeks decided to take the sky watcher back and upgrade it to the sky watcher 200p after doing my homework this time. I just know this is going to be a hobby my wife and I are really going to enjoy this very much.

We got ourselfs a little caravan this year to go camping with and those star partys seem to me the perfect excuse to get out there with all those others star gazers and indulge oursleves to the full in the wonder of the universe. Should have done this years ago. I will report back on the new arrival next week with photos and a full run down for you all. Great forum :) Have posted a few of my pictures of the moon and jupiter taken with my mobile phone cant wait to get an slr camera and really go for it.. yepeee..

Hi markymoo my be some good filters would help out, I lived in London back in the 80s in Earls court gotta say I'm happier out here in the country side now apart from the smell of cow muck and the strange locals, of which I am one now.

Yep, that's not a bad idea. I did try some sort of filter once; can't remember what it was off the top of my head, but I remember thinking it was expensive, it had a blue tint and that it didn't really help me!

Anything you'd recommend?

Yep, that's not a bad idea. I did try some sort of filter once; can't remember what it was off the top of my head, but I remember thinking it was expensive, it had a blue tint and that it didn't really help me!

Anything you'd recommend?

I found this link on this forum on the subject in hand which should help I have yet to get a set of filters myself so I know as much as you do on the subject but I do know that a decent filter will help cut out the light pollution and give you much better views. Hope this link helps...:o

http://http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/60939-light-pollution-filter-recommendations.html

I found this link on this forum on the subject in hand which should help I have yet to get a set of filters myself so I know as much as you do on the subject but I do know that a decent filter will help cut out the light pollution and give you much better views. Hope this link helps...:o

http://http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/60939-light-pollution-filter-recommendations.html

Cool, thanking you. I really should learn to use the search.... ;-)

Also check out this article on light polution I found from an early post very interesting...

OASI - Introduction

When you get there go to the campaign for dark skys section on your left it shows a great map of the level of light pollution in the world we sure do need to turn the lights off as my parents used to shout at me when I was a teenager lol.

Hi Quatermass,

I'm not far from Bungay, moved up to south Norfolk from light polluted Surrey a few years ago. There are a lot of Astronomers dotted around the Norfolk/Suffolk border enjoying the darker skies. Also there is the NAS observatory at Seething which is not far from you. They have extensive observing facilities for visual astronomers and imagers.

Enjoy your scope and our dark skies!

Archived