SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Photoshop CS5

gary1968

Howdy,

I have just started using CS5, it came with a 32 and 64 bit version so I installed both.....

How do the 2 different version differ,i.e. what do they do? And what version should I be using for processing astro images from my 1000d, would this differ from normal daytime pic processing?

Still aint got my head round these new fangled 64bit doodahs..... :icon_salut:

Gary

You only need the 64bit installed but the 32bit will handle the smaller 1000D files just as easily, both versions are the same from a user perspective and will handle typical image files but the 64bit will be faster and handle extreme file sizes. The colour management doesn't change from version to version.

Is your OS 64 bit?, if not, I don't think CS5 will work fully. Not certain though. If your OS is 32 bit, then I think your RAM limit will be 2 Gb. and CS5 would benefit a lot from loads more that a 64 bit OS allows.

Ron.

Oooh ay, I better email my boss - I'm about to get a 64bit machine with CS5 for my graphics work! :icon_salut:

One great thing about CS5 - Context aware fill.....

If you dont have flats and want rid of dust bunnies, choose the freeform selection tool and draw round the bunny? The select edit, fill and in the pop up menu select USE: Content Aware and click OK. Dust bunny gone!!!!

One great thing about CS5 - Context aware fill.....

If you dont have flats and want rid of dust bunnies, choose the freeform selection tool and draw round the bunny? The select edit, fill and in the pop up menu select USE: Content Aware and click OK. Dust bunny gone!!!!

Content aware fill is amazing. I can never get it to work as well as it does in Adobe's demos, but it does work tremendously well all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have 32bit windows it won't let you install the 64bit version. You'll also be limited to a max of around 3Gb of RAM (32bit windows limitation)

On 64bit windows you will get your full RAM on either 32bit or 64bit versions of PS. Both versions offer exactly the same features and functionality, but the 64bit version can process some large files and complex processes a little faster. However it's not really noticeable in everyday tasks.

As mentioned above some plugins don't work in the 64bit version of PS. On my machine I have both versions installed and keep the 64bit version 'clean' and have all the plugins installed on the 32bit version. Plugins can cause instability and slow down PS, so it's good to have a clean, fast, stable version too.

Also worth noting, if you install a new version of PS it never upgrades the old version, it adds the new version in addition. You also have to reinstall any plugins for the new version.

Archived