NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Posting images

legion48

If you post an image much bigger than 800 pixels "in line" it fouls up the formatting of the forum. Linking allows you to post an image of essentially unlimited size. There is also the point that not everyone has fast broadband connection, large images take time to download & some people may consider it an abuse of the forum to post images bigger than about 200 kilobytes.

I usually post a "thumbnail" as well as a link to a large image....

Can I repeat my question because I am a bit lost. Do you see a small image here? (It could just have well been a large one.)

754460731_neWK5-Ti.jpg

This is on my gallery but should appear here as if it were on the forum, am I wrong? No clicking. Anything wrong with that?

Forgive my lack of IT savvy.

Olly

It does not have to be a thumbnail, I just did not want to hijack the thread with a picture. You can put a fullsize up the same way if you like. You need a gallery site of some kind, like free Flickr, though I pay for a smugmug account because I do a lot of big images and the compression hurts! Vain or just trying to give you a decent image?

Then you click on the yellow icon with sun and mountain and copy the URL - is that the term - into the box that appears. Seems a painless solution to me.

Olly

Most image hosting sites give the option to copy the HTML code to paste into a post.

I too find it annoying when the image is not included as part of the post....

There is no memory limit on the forum, but there is a size limit, both in terms of file size and image dimensions. This is so the posts do not scroll off to the right when posting a big image - and that it doesn't take too long to view the image.

There are still plenty of people on dial-up connections or "slow" broadband. Despite all the ad's and hyper, a large part of the UK does not have broadband enabled exchanges.

Archived