Synguider and dual axis drives...

Hi guys

First post on here.

I'm a complete newbie at this stuff, but my intention was to jump in at the deep end.

I recently bought myself a 200p with EQ5. I then made the decision that I wanted to get into astroimaging, so I bought dual axis motor drives for the EQ5, and the Synguider, assuming, wrongly it now appears, that the Synguider, being made by Skywatcher, would drive the Skywatcher dual axis drives!

I've now been told by a very reputable dealer that I need the GoTo Pro upgrade to be able to do this because the dual axis drives do not accept the signals from the Synguider, which has somewhat burst my bubble.

Can anybody on here confirm that? I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

Doug

That's a shame Doug, and just a pity you didn't post on SGL earlier and ask some questions before your purchase. But, having said that, we are all wiser in Hindsight.

The EQ5 is a fairly popular mount, even the model you bought is always being sought, so perhaps selling it on would be an option, and although you take a loss, the money earned could perhaps go towards a second hand HEQ5 Pro Mount. They crop up on the for sale boards regularly. In time, there will be a run of EQ6 mounts for sale too, as Skywatcher will be launching the New EQ7 mounts, possibly as early next year.

Of course you can go the upgrade route for your EQ5.

I hope you don't mind my butting in mate.:icon_salut:

Ron.

Hi Ron

You're not butting in mate - all advice gratefully accepted! :icon_salut: And I probably wouldn't take a loss on the mount - I bought the scope and the mount used on ebay anyway!

Peter

I've just checked that conversion out, and it appears to answer my prayers. I was complaining to someone today as to why nobody does some sort of adaptor between the ST4 and the ports on the dual axis drives, and lo and behold! And the cost of that kit is only $7 would you believe! Thanks very much for that - I'll let you know how I get on.

• 2 months later...

I have a quick question on this conversion as I have an eq5 mount and dont want to go the exspense of a go to conversion. If I bought the dual axis drive kit and then did this conversion would I be able to use an LVI Smart guider in the port to control it with the smart guider? any ideas as this would save me some dosh I can then use on getting a guide scope for the smart guider.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I came across this whilst searching for any info on the EQ5 Dual Axis Drives ST-4 Mod.

I have come across the shoestring mod for adding a ST 4 port to the hanset but before i actually purchase the kit from Shoestring i was wondering

does it actually work?

A couple of days ago I came across a post in the SGL by a gent who said that he lost 3 hand sets but it was unclear if this was down to the st 4 mod.

sadly i have not been able to find this topic again.

I know this topic is over two years old so sorry for reopening it.

Hi,

I came across this whilst searching for any info on the EQ5 Dual Axis Drives ST-4 Mod.

I have come across the shoestring mod for adding a ST 4 port to the hanset but before i actually purchase the kit from Shoestring i was wondering

does it actually work?

A couple of days ago I came across a post in the SGL by a gent who said that he lost 3 hand sets but it was unclear if this was down to the st 4 mod.

sadly i have not been able to find this topic again.

I know this topic is over two years old so sorry for reopening it.

Oddly, I can't seem to find that thread either now, despite having posted on it. The gent who had three handsets fail did not attribute this to the shoestring ST-4 mod. In fact only one of the three handsets ever had that mod fitted and the failure was due to it getting wet. The proposal that failure was related the shoestring mod was simply a result of speculative suggestions by folks made before all the facts came to light.

Chris.

Nice one, thanks guys.

Yes that's the thread just re read and I'm happy that I'm brave enough to do the mod

know knowing that if there is a fault to the handset it will be because of my error and not the mods.

Once again thank you

Archived