NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Extension tubes?

Hi all, I've just about scrimped enough together for a crayford to replace the dodgy focuser on my Celestron omni 120, I'm fairly sure I'll need an extension tube and am wondering if there's any real difference between a more expensive one (say the Televue one for £65) and the bog standard ones for around £15. Surely there can't be much difference at all in practical terms?

I have a WO one. As far as I can see the only different in most tubes is what the compresision fittings are like. The WO one has a tri knob compression like a Moonlite so its a bit slicker but if its in use the whole time it probably makes little difference.

You dont say what focuser your replacing with but if its a Moonlite you can probably specify how long the drawtube is which would make an extension redundant (possibly).

Besides overall better fit and finish it's the compression ring that is the main difference. The cheaper extensions use a thinner gauge and softer brass for the compression ring and the recess for the ring isn't as accurately machined. This can cause some eyepieces to hang up on the compression ring and also when tightening the ring the eyepiece (or eyepiece adaptor) can be pulled a bit off centre.

The best one I've ever had is the Baader which uses a bronze ring. The Moonlite was my least favourite extension as the three screws had to be carefully tightened, each one a bit at a time, to keep the eyepiece centered. The Televue worked very well but was overpriced.

I had two of the Revelation type, and while one worked OK the other was a real pig to use as the brass ring kept slipping out of position and eyepieces were always hanging up when trying to insert or remove them. Quality control is more variable with the cheaper extensions I suppose

John

Archived