Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is there a (free) database of all stars/DSOs and their locations?

Jayla

Say, hypothetically speaking, I was to create an application that shows star locations in 3D, relative to each other, so you could "set focus" on the sun, or mizor, or alcor, and then see stars around those. like a 3d map sort of...

.. Is there anywhere I can get my data from? ie a database of star locations with 3 dimensional co-ordinates?

Cheers guys

Working with a lot of Android lately so trying to come up with some good idea for a mobile app for astro-related purposes

Suggestions welcome

Well, there's certainly some holes in the astro app lineup for Android...

* Something that shows the planets rise/set times for your location. Nice to have things like transit time and altitude too.

* a better planetarium than google sky maps - sky maps has limited star count and no pinch-to-zoom. There are a couple of other apps, but they don't rate highly

* A simple what's up application - tell me what is visible now (or at a given time). Planets, Messier, Caldwell catalogues. Set a limit altitude to exclude things below that (local horizon).

Must admit to having not got any further than 'hello, world' in android so far...

Robin

you could take a tour of our galaxy :icon_salut:
Please note that accurate 3D locations for most stars in the galaxy simply do not exist! The Hipparcos distance measurements only go out to 1000ly or so. That leaves an awful lot of unmeasured galaxy. You will have to wait for the GAIA satellite for anything better.

If you have a play with Celestia: Home it will give you some idea of what is available.

NigelM

My astronomy club created a DSO listing that is available for free. It is the Saguaro Astronomy Club database. Our URL is www dot saguaroastro dot org

Once there, look for "Things to view". There are databases for dso, multiple stars, asterisms and red stars.

Hope that helps;

Steve Coe

Archived