Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AS Product Design Project idea

Peter Reader

UPDATE:

Made the base much smaller and added a base plate to allow for this. The scope is now much more portable and compact.

Covered most of the shiny nylock bolts with extra pannels:

IMG20110330_006.jpg

And now painted with laser cut logos:

IMG20110330_010.jpg

IMG20110330_009.jpg

IMG20110330_008-1.jpg

IMG20110330_007-1.jpg

IMG20110330_014.jpg

IMG20110330_013.jpg

IMG20110330_011.jpg

Pretty happy with this!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The image is quite "cloudy"/"misty"... I've cleaned both mirrors and they are aligned fine... any ideas?

Hi Peter,

Just seen your question, so bit of a late reply!

When you say the image is cloudy/misty, do you mean when used during daylight?

My guess is that you are suffering from internal reflections inside the tube which is affecting the image contrast. I'd suggest painting the inside of the tube matt black. Blackboard paint works quite well and is simple to apply. This should help. Alternatively, you could try flocking (search for posts on SGL on this), 'though this will be moe expensive.

Good luck

Kevin

Peter,

See the Stellafane web site: Stellafane: Home of the Springfield Telescope Makers, Inc., and right on the front page you'll find a section called "Build a Dobsonian" with complete instructions. You'll also want to check out the Amateur Telescope Making, or "ATM" links. There you will find tons of information about telescope making. This is not a commercial site -- nothing is for sale, and the plans are absolutely free for the taking. We also teach a free mirror grinding class every winter from October - April, but the commute across the Atlantic would be a bit excessive!

Best wishes and good luck! Feel free to write to me off-list if you want any help. I'm a past president of the STM's and used to teach the mirror making class at Stellafane.

Clear skies,

Hi everyone. The coursework I need to do requires me to do a questionaire. Would some of you kind people please briefly answer the following questions form a beginner's point of view if you can?

1) Would a portable astronomy set up appeal to you as a buyer?

2) What would you be prepared to pay for such a product (see above) if you were a newcomer to astronomy.

3) Would a flat packed product appeal to you to save postage costs and better get to know how the product functions?

Thanks everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi there - what a great thread, thanks for sharing this project on the site. Your recognition in S@N magazine is thoroughly deserved. I'm working on a design of my own at the moment, and it certainly keeps the brain cells working to try and sort out all the details.

All the best.

Ed

• 5 months later...

Archived