Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AS Product Design Project idea

Peter Reader

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be going to North Devon Astro meeting this Wednesday to talk it over with some engineers who have experience in this kind of thing. I'll post the final engineering drawing soon enough.

Thanks for the support, will keep you all updated!

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter

Good to see your designs coming together. Some good concepts there.

#3 is similar to my 6" tube construction I made some years back. I must dig it out of the attic and post a picture. For what it's worth - for this design, you may struggle to keep the centre of gravity close to the primary mirror end. Like yourself, I wanted to do this to make "depth" of the mount box (or the length of the mount fork arms, depending on what you decide to do) as short as possible. In practice this proved difficult, but not impossible. The trick is to use the thinnest, lightest materials for the box at the focusser end, and much heavier and thicker materials at the primary end. For the tube connectors, aluminium tubes from a DIY store proved OK for my 6".

Not sure I fully understand your last design. What are the hinges for?

Look forward to seeing your final design!

Kev

Ok thanks for the heads up on the balancing issue!

The last design is designed to fold in half. You have to imagine the section containing the secondary mirror rotating about the hinges and onto the top of the tube section containing the primary mirror. It will then be held in it's portable position by a simple two part hooking mechanism.

I am pretty sure I like the second mount (as I could make it polar aligned and hence trackable -in theory), but not sure which tube to go for yet. My project is based around portability and flat packing.

Thanks for the feedback

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Couple of things to think about -

With a hinged OTA, careful thought will be needed to ensure that the optics retain collimation after each set-up.

The OTA will put a lot of strain on the fork arms. The design of these may need to be modified to increase their strength and general robustness, so as to reduce flexure. Also the join between the fork ands the main polar bearing will need to be pretty beefy.

Looking good. Look forward to seeing the next stage!

Kev

I'll take that into account, thanks. I plan to use steel for the c shaped fork so it shouldn't flex too much to matter.

I'm stuck on ideas for the friction bearing for the "altitude" (declination?) axis... any thoughts? It needs to be detachable so I thought of maybe using a wing nut...

Thanks for the help so far, build pictures to come.

Pete

I made a wooden fork mounted scope years ago (6"). For this I got a couple of circular bearings from a friend (they were actually wheel bearings of an old Triumph Spitfire) and had another friend with a lathe turn down some steel pipe to fit in the bearings. The pipes were welded to flat plates to make flanges which were screwed to the OTA. The bearings simply slid into U-shaped wooden "cups" which were fixed to the end of the fork arms. It was easy to mount/dismount as needed.

For friction control, I made a plastic collar which slid over the end of one of the dec pipes. To this collar I mounted a tangent arm, the end of which located onto a fixed pin at the bottom of the fork arm. The plastic collar was split, with a bolt/wing-nut to tighten or loosen the collar onto the dec pipe. (In actual fact, the locating pin for the tangent arm was mounted on a screw drive and motor I ripped out of an old machine being discarded from my workplace. This ran off a battery, and enabled me to have a dec drive to center objects. Not needed, but a bit of fun to make!).

Hope this is reasonably clear (easier to make than describe!). May give you some ideas.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Update: Just completed the eyepiece holding half of the OTA.

I'm using 4mm laser ply wood. You can see the panels slot together at the edges at right angles and are reinforced with internal pine lengths.

The focuser was designed for a circular OTA so I had to heat and bend a piece of plastic to the correct shape to achieve a snug fit.

IMG20110114_003.jpg

IMG20110114_004.jpg

IMG20110114_005.jpg

Will post pictures of the second half of the OTA and the completed OTA.

Comments/criticisms/warnings are most welcome.

I still haven't settled on a way of securing the two OTA sections so that it stays rigid once in use. Any ideas welcome (no matter how crazy).

Thanks everyone

Pete

how about 4 ply wood flanges 2 on one part and 2 on the other so it the two parts will only assemble in the correct alignment, perhaps with tapered v shaped interlocking pieces ? as per sketch attached when together use those lever over latches you see on most tool boxes and the like which will pull it tight together, :)

interlock.doc

The plan is to either: cover the screws with rubber, spray paint the whole OTA black or use different coloured nuts...

I had to use these nuts as our school didn't have any others in stock -should be able to reduce the reflections before the deadline by any of the methods above.... hopefully...

Thanks for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very little actually. It bounces slightly when I turn it quickly but otherwise it's reasonably smooth to move around and holds it position nicely (so must have got the balance pretty near). All in all very pleased with this. Will post final set up when it's painted and operational.

Archived