NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Io Transit 24/250910

Virgoman

Hi all,

Just submitting an image taken of Io transiting Jupiter. Image not exactly front page material, but I think you can make out the moon itself just ahead of the shadow. Night was deceptively clear but I could only get a series of grainy images despite fiddling for all I was worth.......ahem. Dodgy seeing perhaps? Fascinating to see Io crossing the disc. GRS was a bonus. Thanks for looking and any comments/criticisms, advice always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Best regards,

Ralph:)

post-17649-133877487286_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a very similar setup to what I used for my shot. I noticed that the image was very 'wobbly' (technical term for bad seeing) when taking the images. My last shot looked the best focus, but I lost it when the computer crashed! Went off to look at the Moon in a sulk.

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply - your images are very good. This image was taken at 23.30 on 24/0910, altitude of 29.97 degrees. Image was very grainy on screen and I didn`t hold out much hope of a decent result to be honest. I imaged the entire transit across the disc but none of the images are anything to write home about. Am beginning to wonder about my little Toucam which has served well for about 5 - 6 years images are consistently very grainy. As I am sure you know focussing is also a major challenge.

Bad luck with the computer crashing, BlueAstra, sounds familiar with potentially the best focused image. Deep breaths and count to whatever!

No chance of images tonight raining here!

Best regards,

That's a nice shot Ralph! I had the same conditions that night....nice and clear but very unstable. Have you tried the cropping program "Castrator"...it crops the avi footage and fixes the Planet in one spot...I found it improved images taken in unstable conditions.

Webcam Astrophotography by Emil Kraaikamp - Castrator

Hi everyone and thankyou for your replies, they are much appreciated. Harry, I am just using Microsoft Photo Editor to crop the image - pretty basic. You could use Registax. Thanks for the pointer to Castrator, Space Cowboy - I think I will give that a try.

Just received my el cheapo webcam (though not as cheap as a week ago) from Morgans today (with nosepiece). I have done the necessary flashing and it is now working perfectly as an spc900. Looks like it may be clear here tonight, heres hoping!

Best Regards,

Hi everyone and thankyou for your replies, they are much appreciated. Harry, I am just using Microsoft Photo Editor to crop the image - pretty basic. You could use Registax. Thanks for the pointer to Castrator, Space Cowboy - I think I will give that a try.

Just received my el cheapo webcam (though not as cheap as a week ago) from Morgans today (with nosepiece). I have done the necessary flashing and it is now working perfectly as an spc900. Looks like it may be clear here tonight, heres hoping!

Best Regards,

Good luck (clouds are moving in here, but there are some descent patches yet).

Archived