NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

De clipping the Heart and Soul

ollypenrice

At the request of a well known PixInsight enthusiast I am posting this DBE treated Heart and Soul widefield already shown earlier.

Dynamic Background Extraction did indeed allow me to be less aggressive in cutting back and so it is less clipped and maybe a bit better balanced in dynamic range. Since the image is so darned big it is not the ideal choice for a PI beginner like me. Finding any starless sky was a no hoper...

Olly

1023126747_HNVaa-L.jpg

That quite literally took my breath away Olly. Absolutely gorgeous. I must have missed the original post when I was away?

Are you remembering to do all your PI stuff in 32bit floating point mode? You will be surprised if you open up the same image in the same format side by side with photoshop how different they look!

You're all very kind.

Any chance visually for the Heart and Soul? Sadly I doubt it. Maybe some fragments of nebulosity around the clusters. The problem is their angular size; only a short focal length could accomodate them and then you wouldn't have the aperture to provide the light grasp.

Tim, I shot this quickly - just 80 mins per panel plus a bit for the Heart, so it isn't up to showing at 100 percent. On my SmugMug site I have it a 50 percent. It just about passes muster at that but is still enormous. Thanks for the Heads Up on 32 bit. I think I remembered but can't swear to it!

Smugmug link is here. Click on the image and then you can choose 100 percent version. (A couple of small notes. I left the DC with a little star bloat because, without the extra brightness that gave, the cluster got a bit lost when seen on the reduced image. The extra glow looks better, I think. I also slightly cheated on Stock 2, emphasizing the Muscleman asterism in curves and unsharp mask, simply because it's a visual favourite of mine and I wanted it to stand out.)

Widefield images including mosaics and overlays. - ollypenrice's Photos

I have a couple of big mosaics on the drawing board so this was a 9-panel shakedown. I learned a lot and thanks to all who advised.

Olly

Archived