Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 'SupaTrak' Mount control with Stellarium??

Is it possible to control the Skywatcher 'SupaTrak' Mount with Stellarium or other software?

This mount seems to take the same control connection as the HEQ5/ EQ6 SkyScan Hand Controller.

I emailed 'Astronomiser', as he sells the cables required, but he wasn't sure and hasn't got back to me.

Wow thanks for the quick reply and link!

I was hoping the mount would just 'work' with the right cable. This circuit board project looks too difficult for me :).

I guess I'll need to save up for a new mount if I want GOTO.

In regards to the 'SupaTrak' mount, does anyone else find the auto tracking a bit 'buggy'? Sometimes you set it going and it tracks beautifully, other times it tracks poorly. It's not about setting up, as this can happen in the same sitting. Sometimes I have to 'start' it tracking several times until it works properly. I read somewhere that the last direction you moved the mount has some effect when you start the tracking?

In regards to the 'SupaTrak' mount, does anyone else find the auto tracking a bit 'buggy'? Sometimes you set it going and it tracks beautifully, other times it tracks poorly. It's not about setting up, as this can happen in the same sitting. Sometimes I have to 'start' it tracking several times until it works properly. I read somewhere that the last direction you moved the mount has some effect when you start the tracking?

Have you set your local latitude? Apparently this will help tracking accuracy & as I understand it, it is when completing this process that using the same direction key is relevant.

Kev.

The Supatrak mount is the non goto version of the AZ GOTO mount. The Supatrak can be converted to goto by using a V3 handset reflashed with the AZ firmware. It is also possible to use a simple interface, such as the rwg board, or a commercial one such as the RS232 - TTL 5v board from Tronisoft. I think it is also possible to convert a FTDI USB -TTL cable by changing the plug to match the socket on the mount. In both cases the mount can then be controlled from a planetarium program. The Ascom driver for the mount can be found on rwg's website.

Peter

The EQ6 and HEQ5 Syntrek (Syntrak) mounts are the same mount as supplied with the Synscan handset. You can use either a V2 or V3 handset with the Syntrek mount to give you full goto.

Another site with some more information on using a RS232 - TTL board with a Supatrak mount Multi function mount. The site is in French but the photos show how to wire up the board to the mount cable.

Peter

Thanks for all the info here!

I've found that you can buy a v3 synscan handset for £173, or my mount AND the controller for £189! Which doesn't make sense.

Am I right in saying I can't just buy a mount control cable (as sold by Astronomiser here Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions ). This will work for the 'Syntrak' mounts but not my 'Supratrak' mount, even though the same hand controller works for both?

I therefore have to makeup my own cable with some circuitry as posted by Peter? I don't understand what this circuitry does, and why I need it?

Thanks for all the info here!

I've found that you can buy a v3 synscan handset for £173, or my mount AND the controller for £189! Which doesn't make sense.

Am I right in saying I can't just buy a mount control cable (as sold by Astronomiser here Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions ). This will work for the 'Syntrak' mounts but not my 'Supratrak' mount, even though the same hand controller works for both?

I therefore have to makeup my own cable with some circuitry as posted by Peter? I don't understand what this circuitry does, and why I need it?

Yes it is crazy that the handset on it's own costs almost as much as the goto mount. The Merlin multifunction mount with goto is actually cheaper than the handset.

The cable from Astronomiser isn't suitable for the Supatrak mount. The cable should terminate in a RJ12 plug to match the socket on the mount and the other end of the cable terminate in a RJ45 plug for the Synscan handset.

The cicruit board is an interface to allow the computer to control the mount.

Peter

• 2 years later...

Hi,

just bumping this one again as things seem to have moved on since 2010 ;-)

at this site

http://www.365astronomy.com/usb-interface-for-canoneos-exposure-control-merlin-autoguider-p-2389.html

seems like the skywatcher 127 supatrak can be contrrolled using software like ursa minor.. does anyone have experience of using this setup and how good it works.

thanks for any help or advice

Tony

Archived