Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SLR Astrophotography

Well, I finally got the film back from the developers yesterday and I excitedly opened up the package, stood in the middle of town scanning the film - as you do

(These were the shots I took during the Perseids, and of various constellations, and taken before the Explorer 200 came to my posession).

I was surprised to find that the film contained nothing of any value at all. A couple of dubious smudges on a few frames was about it.

I went back over my notes that I made of the shots (at least I did something right!), and then compared these to notes I made whilst reading Infinity Rising and Astrophotography for Beginners.

It appears that I got my notes mixed up and my jottings made no sense at all - surprise, surprise :)

The shots I took were of only 30 second duration, which as I now know, is nowhere near long enough to capture anything of any note. I shall be re-reading my books this weekend, and will carefully make a new set of notes, and will try again very soon - in fact, if the clouds keep off tonight, it could be then!

Am I disheartened by my failure - yes, but I can learn from it, and that is important - and it spurs me on to get it right!

daz

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can normally get something in 30 seconds... were they blank completely?

That is exactly the reason I gave up on film imaging. You can't check what you doing as you do it! So if you get the exposure wrong or the focus is out. You have no idea till you get the film back.

On the flip side, I think that film astrophotography gives a much nocer end result when you do get it right! I prefer Andy's images to almost all CCD images out there...

Don't give up though Daz, it will be worth it when you get there...

Ant

As Ant has said dont give up Daz and take it as a positive that you have learnt something and of which will steer you to a better result nexttime. I am sure everyone who starts out in Film Astrophotography have had poor results at first but this is just the learning curve req with this medium.

Best wish's for next time Daz.

James :)

Thanks Guys

Yes the film was blank!

I think the main problem is probably the focus - there is no marking for manually focussing to infinity on the lens, but I did not realise at the time that I could move the focus element without changing the focal length - DOH!

I definitely had the aperture set to 22, which at 50mm equates to f/2.3 - I assume that the aperture numbers are millimeters!

More learnings - more practice!!

And you're right Ant, the downside is that you can't check your results until you have the film developed!!!

daz

ant: No, is the answer, I'm not sure! I'm checking this out as I type...

BD: Correct, it was the Elitechrome 200. I don't think it's the film, though. Most definitely the operator!!!

daz

Ant: Think you are correct!! It would appear that this is the f-stop number, which means that an f/22 only gives an aperture of 2.2mm - Could explain a lot!!!

Will test again as soon as possible, although I think a 400 is in the camera at the moment, but this won't make a huge difference for testing purposes.

Thanks guys

Daz, don't be disheartened. I think Ant may have hit the nail on the head. You say you set the aperture to 22?  If you set the aperture to 22 on the lens, that means you set it too f22 and next to no light would have made it to the film. As Ant said...black!

Just set it to the lowest number.....f1.8, f2 or f2.8 depending on the 50mm lens. 30secs on 200iso should give a nice constellation shot. Showing the major stars.

Or point the camera at polaris, set the lens to f5.6 - 8, focus to infinity and walk away for 30mins. Should get a nice star trail.

Off course now you have the HEQ5 you can piggyback the SLR and push up the exposure times into the minutes depending on the sky. M31 is a terrific first target. I remember getting my first image of M31 when i was 16. Piggybacked the Zenith on a Broadhurst 8.75" Newt, 400iso Fujifilm, lens wide open (f2) and a 3 minute exp. It was the only decent shot out of the 36 but i was on cloud 9 for weeks after.

Russ

Good luck Daz, I would suggest a few stops in from wide open, So if the lowest F/# is 1.8 click the dial two stops in (f/4ish) this will stop some vignetting.

Andy, your welcome mate - but it is the truth - film is much more pleasing to the eye...

Russ, never mind mate :)

Ant

Andy: It's Elitechrome as well. I bought 2 of each to see what the differences where. Ha!

Russ: That is my plan (eventually). I am waiting on delivery of a motor for my EQ1 so I can stick it on there whilst I use the scope. Just need a little dew heater!

Ant: thanks for the pointer, will do

daz

Russ: That is my plan (eventually). I am waiting on delivery of a motor for my EQ1 so I can stick it on there whilst I use the scope. Just need a little dew heater!

Ahhh hence the dew heater thread elsewhere.

RA driven EQ1 and SLR go very well together. With a good crack at the polar alignment you'll be surprised how far you can push the exposure. I had no problem getting 15mins with no trailing using a 28mm lens.

Russ

daz, I've not heard of the 400ASA being used for astrophotography. Good luck as I'll be interested in your results.

I have used and seen the results from 400ASA film you should get some good results from it.

Personally i would stick to 200ASA but t just depends on what you personally want from a film image.

If I remember rightly, the 400 is not so good because of the reciprocity - another piece of info found out AFTER the purchase.

Still, worth a test to satisfy my own curiosity if nothing else.....

Sorry Andy, missed your last post on this....

Got out tonight and shot around 20 pictures, this time at the correct f/ number, and with both my 50mm and 200mm lenses. Having just invested in a clock drive for my EQ1, it seemed the perfect opportunity to try again!!!

Exposures from 30secs up to 5mins taken. One more clear night will the film used up ready - fingers crossed its this week!!

Keep you posted.....

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I finished it off Wed morning with some moon-on-blue-sky shots. I love the moon in the daytime, it has a real 'space' feel about it (if that makes sense!)

I'm hoping to get it sent off today. Andy mentioned a developer he used I think were called Darkroom, or something similar, so I'm trying to find the post.

Soon as I get somthing back, I'll shout.

Archived