Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SLR Astrophotography

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I borrowed a slide projector from the local A.S. and took a look!

I took several of M45 as well as full moon thru my 200mm telephoto lens, and Mars.

First impressions are:

1) Lens is too slow (f/4)

2) Film is wrong (Kodak Elite Chrome 400) should be 200

3) My polar alignment is pants!!

I will play with the images once they're scanned up. I've ordered a scanner this morning, so should only be a couple of days or so.

And very impressed with Darkroom services!!

I must say Daz that i used to use the 400ASA film and changed to the 200ASA version.

And the polar alignment is something that you will learn to get better at.

As for the lens what lens did you find to be too slow at F4 and what were you imaging

that makes you think this?

Skyguy

The lens is a 28-90mm f/4-22. However, it could just be the film.

I have a 200 in the camera at the moment, so I can compare the two.

Dunno, I was expecting more to be visible, I guess. You'll see when I post up the results..

Well, have my scanner and have been playing over the weekend.

I am still trying to find the best settings for the scanner, but it looks like they are pretty dark images.

This could either be the film or the lens, but I suspect an element of both.

I might have to employ James's skills to bring out some of the details, but I will have another crack tonight. They look better on the actual slide projector.

There is a 200 in the camera at the moment, and I am on the lookout for a f/1.8 lens, but I will post some images up in the next day or so...

• 3 weeks later...

Took delivery of a f/1.4 lens courtesy of Dave Osborne so will be giving that a go tonight - seeing as I mangled the toucam!!

Nice fast lens with the Kodak E-200 should give me some results. 19 frames left to shoot, so aiming to get them done tonight and off to The Darkroom tomorrow.

Previous set of slides were just too dark. Even with tweaking the images in PS, there was insufficent detail in there. Ah well, learn something each time!

Also looking to get another camera (same model) to act as a knife-edge focuser. That should make a lot of difference as well.

Keep you posted...

Archived