NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My latest addition

Hi all

I have a long term plan to add an 8mm or a 10mm Ethos to the line up but wanted to try something at about the 10mm range first to get a feel for this magnification (about 160x) in my scopes (both 1600mm focal length).

Effectively it's now a shootout between the 8mm and the 10mm focal lengths to see which will be most useful if I am splashing out on another Ethos. It gives me time to save too.

I was originally planning on a 10mm Radian to compare with the 8mm I have currently, but this 11mm plossl came up for £40 and I therefore grabbed it. The eyepiece is mint and boxed with caps so a bargain comparatively. The TV plossls have a good reputation and I have been keen to try one for a while.

It looks like a little Televue baby amongst its bigger brothers but I expect it will hold its own in optical quality. I am really hoping the general comments about simpler eyepieces being good for planets is true and assuming they are it's likely I'll keep this whether or not I get a 10mm Ethos. That said, I am trying to stick to a 6 eyepiece rule if I can and it should really be one in-one out.

Here's a pic of the little 'un and also the whole 'family'! :blob10: They have taken a while to build up and I have sold some unused books to get them but it's been worth it.

In both my scopes I now have the following magnification range which covers everything except the widest targets - I have the bins for those :):

35mm = 46x

24mm = 67x

13mm = 123x

11mm = 145x

8mm = 200x

6mm - 3mm zoom = 267x - 533x

cheers

Shane

post-17776-13387748044_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877480446_thumb.jpg

Just the six ep's is that all :p:D

hey! I have to feed two scopes so it's only three each ;)

That's a very nice family you've put together Shane. Your observations must be a delight.

Ron.

cheers Ron, they are but not often enough :)

Indeed, very nice ;)

cheers mate

like most I seem to have a constant urge to try and improve what I have :blob10:

Lovely set Shane !

Black and green are very fashionable at the moment, aren't they :hello2:

all the rage matey :hello2:

I just feel they are as good as anything else out there and I do love a matching set :p

the plossl makes the Nagler zoom look like a giant!

totally agree with you and trust me, I had to sell a few (unused) things to get these together - got quite a bit for my body, at least enough to pay for the plossl :blob10:

it's mainly the recycling of books I no longer had a use for but that were quite valuable collected over the years.

Baron Rothschild I am not :)

Archived