Hi from Cyprus

Geno

Have already posted a couple of times but forgot to introduce myself.

I currently live in Cyprus after retiring from the RAF after 22 years and deciding not to leave the island.

My wife bought me a department store telescope for xmas which gave me the bug but the scope proved to be frustrating because of its poor quality. Just waiting for my delivery in about 3-4 weeks of a SW 200p.

I have already found a lot of useful information on the forums and I am sure there will be many more questions to come.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Geno,

A very warm welcome to SGL, you are in a popular part of the World, my Son and partner are there next week on holiday, he has been a few times, we also have a friend who moved out there 18 months ago, so I understand why you do not want to leave the Island, enjoy your dark skies the forum.

John.

Welcome. I have cycled around Cyprus three times with immense enjoymnet and I bet that up in the mountains you would get a fantastic sky away from the light polution. Also if you could get a view to the south straight over the sea you would get to some of the very best of the southern Milky Way objects in summer.

Olly

Really good if you get away from the towns. Hopefully not too bad where I live. We do have light from the airfield and nearby Limassol but I can just make out the Milky Way on a clear night. Might get better when I deal with that pesky street light that has decided to start working.

how are the skies in Cyprus (light polluted)?

Cheers

Jase

Just got home and the street lamps are not working, Milky Way is looking quite bright. Bet they are back on by the time I get my scope. It will probably be cloudy as well just like it rained for a week when I bought a convertible :blob10:

From a decent location the Milky Way won't be just visible, it will be straight out bright and no messing.

Olly

Our friends have built a house in the mountains miles from anywhere so have told them to expect frequent visits when the scope arrives.

Hi Geno

A warm welcome to SGL if you can get up in to the Trudos Mountains you will see some fantastic sites

Doug

Essex

Hire a car and get in the mountains, will be well worth it.

PM me if you want any advice where to stay etc.

Hello.

Me & the missus are considering cyprus for a holiday next year, wondering if it would be worth taking some binos along, do you have much light pollution?

You're gonna love the SW200P!

Have fun.

Archived