NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CTB1 supernova remnant in Ha

Tom How

My first post here so be nice, ok!

A very faint supernova remnant in Cassiopeia lurking in a lovely field stuffed with Ha emission and little obscure open clusters. Very faint and very low contrast, I've chucked 10 hours of exposure with an Artemis 285 camera, Astrodon 6nm ha filter and a £10 135mm focal length SLR lens (Yay for Ebay) at this target, and it still looks rather faint!

Full image and details etc can be found here:

Astrophotography Blog » CTB1 Super nova remnant in Cassiopeia

post-20774-133877478984_thumb.jpg

Hello , and welcome to the SGL Forum.

I think the 135mm lens has done a good job Tom.

The SN remnant is plain enough, and it is a very busy area of sky.

I think Mono supplies a more dramatic scene too.

So, all things considered, a very good result.

Ron.:blob10:

You did well to catch this faint object, been a fan of yours for sometime as you have a great website full of great advice and DIY suggestions and a great image collection with many challenging objects.

John.

Welcome to SGL :blob10:. I've heard of the Sharpless parts but not the SN remnant and it's always nice to see something new. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I'm curious to know how you attached the SLR lens onto the Artemis with the filter in place?

Tony..

Excellent image and a great setup you've come up with Tom.

I have a few old Pentax lenses (K thread) that I'd like to do this with, and may well have a bash after seeing your results. :blob10:

I already have an adapter and also have a spare stepper motor.

Cheers

Rob

That's a superb thingy Tom, very ingenious :blob10:.

Tony..

:) Thanks. The key is really the automated focusing. I've no idea how poeple manage to focus SLR lenses by hand. This way I don't have any involvement in the focus - which increase the accuracy no end!! FocusMax is probably one of the greatest inventions since the telescope itself!

On that subject, one point to note. IF you move the aperture ring closed one notch to F5, the focus model you carefully made in FocusMax at F4 suddenly doesn't work... as I accidently found out the other night and had to chuck away 1 hours data.

Nicely captured Tom, nice to interesting faint objects like this one. Just looked at your website regarding the autofocus of your lenses, very nice indeed. I've got a similar thing rigged up for my canon lens but it's only manual using my SCT motor focuser and some tie wraps round the barrel. WOuld love to have it autofocus though.

Cheers,

Rich.

The belt, pulley and geared stepper motor are trivial to get from RS, but they key is a stepper motor control that focusmax can talk to

Larry Weber

I use a controller sold by Artemis CCD (Steve Chambers, now Atik) a few years ago.

Focuser

This was literally just a controller board, you had to DIY the rest of it. I don't know if Atik do a version of this. This was a very cheap solution: Most Ascom focuser controllers are very expensive.

It isn't a terribly difficult job: you just need a USB Pic module, such a the DLP-2232, a few transistors and somebody with enough time and skills to write PIC module C and a ASCOM driver for the focuser. I could probably do it myself if I didn't have a solution already. The DLP-2232 modules I've played with a lot, they are fantastic tools for automating stuff via USB - I use one to remotely control the Bulb shutter on my 350D.

Archived