Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dew straps or hair dryer

I'm thinking of getting some dew straps and a controler for my scope but I notce that alot of people use hair dryers what I want to know is if my corrector lense dews up and I remove the dew shield and lightly blow over it to remove the dew then replace the dew shield how long will it last before I have to do it again also there is a big difference in price between a hair dryer and dew straps and a controler so which would be the best road to go down. :o

Having used the hair drier method i am now looking at buying dew bands and controller. Depending on conditions i have had the corrector clear from 20 mins down to 1 min!

in the long run i think that the more expensive option is the best.

Does anyone know where I can buy a quiet hairdryer? I observe in my garden surrounded by neighbours and it gets VERY quiet at night, to the point where whenever I carefully remove my eyepieces, it makes a very loud scraping noise........

I've never bothered with dew straps. I prefer to rely on decent length (i.e. >= 3.5x aperture) dew caps and use the hair dryer on the nights where it gets royally dewy. Mine is a Royal 12V (I got mine for £4, but that was about 12 years ago) -- it is not particularly noisy but, if you want silent, you'll have to go with dew straps.

Dew straps are far better and will not thermally shock your corrector plate. You do not need a controller. I just plug in my strips to a 12 volt supply and leave them on. Imagers find that heating with a hair drier really throws out the focus for ages on refractors because the tube and lenses heat up and expand. By the time they settle they are wet again!

I used a hair drier for years and am now a vociferous convert to straps...

Olly

Archived