SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skymax 150 Pro on Buy'n'Sell

russ

The scope had gone by the time I had equired about it. I took the opertunity to ask the seller what he thought of it, remember he's sold it to someone else and so wouldn't have any need to BS:

"Gaz,

The scope was optically stunning! It made my omc140 Deluxe(vastly overrated bit of kit) look like a piece of junk. It's ability to split doubles was truly astounding, I could use up to 100x per inch magnification on the best nights and it would get down to near it's theoretical limits. Superb on the moon and planets , very refractor like. It showed no hint of false colour and had good contrast. It was the cleanest set of new optics I've seen only a couple of dust specs.

The build quality is excellent , the 9x50 finder first rate, comes with a good 25mm eyepiece the 9mm is very average though.

It does have some image shift when moving through the focus point, but so does every other scope with this type of construction. The mirror diagonal is of exceptional optical quality , you can see no difference viewing straight through or with the diagonal. It came extremely well collimated and with no blemishes or defects.

Has a narrow field of view and you will need a dew shield of some description.

Gaz I am a scope junkie and have had 8 new scopes in three years and apart from my AR5 refractor(absolutely love that one fitted with a 2" moonlite focuser), it's the only other one that delivered more than I expected.

A bargain at the price.

Cheers

Dave"

... I am a scope junkie and have had 8 new scopes in three years and apart from my AR5 refractor(absolutely love that one fitted with a 2" moonlite focuser), it's the only other one that delivered more than I expected.

A bargain at the price.

Here is a link to the Moonlite focuser mentioned in his review:

http://tinyurl.com/8wcbf

Steve :)

I've seen them Steve, too rich for my blood I'm afraid! :)

I see what you mean, perhaps that is why they are anodised red - if somebody were to spend that much on a focuser, they'd want to be bl**dy sure it got noticed!

Steve :)

They look cracking focuser though - nice link Steve!

The mini review by Gaz seems to be confirmed around the web now. These Skymax 150's appear to be something special. I've got to resist though.

Are you tempted with a new one Gaz? I phoned Pulsar before buying the C8 and without any pushing, Gary reduced the new price on the 150.

Russ

russ,

I'll probably get a new one, my plans were sort of scuppered last night when I went to check over a LX90 I had on Ebay and found that the handset was fried :).

So any new gear has got to wait for a replacement handset, which i can afford until payday!

Dave,

I know you only had the Mak a short time but did you get a chance to rate it on planets (well Mars really!) against your 127mm f9 refractor. As an owner of one and a prospective owner of the other I'd be interested what you think?

Gaz

Gaz,

I managed 2 longish viewing sessions on mars in the early hours with the 150 mak. The scope showed more detail than the AR5 as well as being free of CA on the planets fringe, of course at f12 it gives a larger image. I woud say the contrast was just a little worse than the refractor, that's something you would expect because of the central obstruction and imperfect baffles. It is still only a 6" obstructed scope and a good 8" f6 or higher newt (in perfect collimation)would and should outperform it if I am honest , albeit in a much bulkier packge.

Cheers

Dave

Archived