NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

object ID help

ok this may seem a little bit of a strange question but i need a little help on something.

my gps location is Latitude: 51.5 (51° 3(something)' N)

Longitude: 0.4 (0° 2(something)) united kingdom

the object is in the south east

i first noticed it 2 days ago while laying in bed through the rear window it seem to track left to right going out of view from my window 2ft across in about 30-40 minutes with the colour changing between red/blue,white.

the strange thing is it seems to have a slight wobble to it between left and right also up and down in altitude as it rises higher in the night sky

the first time i see it i watched for a while and put it down to a disatant plane but now 2 days later i'm looking at it again so i know its not a plane.

a satallite maybe ? only problem with that is i've never seen a satallite flash in colour like that before.

and before you a sk no i'm not crazy, drunk or been drinking, no drugs either ;) i'm watching it as i type this.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it was most likely capella, or another bright, low star. atmospheric turbulence will cause low stars to flicker quite intensely, and this is more obvious on brighter stars which you may have interpreted as a wobble.

This is also the cause of the shifting colours, the atmosphere refracts light, breaking the light of the star down like a prism, and the turbulence shifts these colours around. it happens to all stars, but is most obvious on lower stars as the light must pass through more atmosphere, and on brighter stars, as it's simply easier for the eye to pick up.

Archived