Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Network/internet to observatory over the mains

Thought I'd share a solution that has worked for me.

I was using a wireless network to my observatory but was finding it unreliable in different weather conditions - connection kept dropping at the worst moment!

I have now replaced wireless with wired, but without laying any new cables. I already had a buried power cable to the observatory so added a powerline ethernet adapter to it which effectively makes the mains cables around your house your network. It's worked really well and the speed is excellent - much better than wireless, even though I have the adapters plugged into extension cables.

Very simple to install: Buy 2 adapters (I used TP-LINK adapters), connect your router with an ethernet cable to one and plug into the mains (or extension block in my case). Plug the other into the mains in the observatory and connect it to your computer with another ethernet cable. That's it - no other configuration needed. I know it's a little more expensive than wireless adapters but it saves more cabling and the network reliability/speed is much better.

Hope that helps someone. :D

Mark

Same here, the 200MBPS versions and they run from my obs to the house via a single mains lead which is plugged into a 4 gang next to the computers. Am planning on putting in a second mains line as a system redundancy/backup.

£80 on ebay for the pair of 200MBPS ones, which also run the Media Centre from the XBOX360/Wii etc via some 4 way hubs...all great

I have a pair of 85mbps homeplugs that work perfectly. It doesnt work if i plug the house end into certain sockets. I suspect the wiring may cause problems for the rooms furthest from the integral garage (where all the breakers and connections come from)

LAN over power cables really is the bees knees. The guy in currys suggested them to me when I was asking where I could purchase 10m long LAN cables. Never even knew such ingenious things existed.

Next we'll have LASERS and personal communications devices like in Star Trek..... oh wait....

Archived