Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

90 Degree RA Finder

30mm guidescopes are pretty limited and better to go for 50mm if possible. Also although right angled guidescopes sound like a good idea in practice they can be difficult to use. The main benefit of a straight through guider is that you can visualise where you are seacrching. this isn't possible with a right angled one and I have found it amazing how much difference that makes.

Ok so maybe I'm missing something here, if your target is directly overhead and you're using a newt on a tripod, how do you sight through a straight finderscope short of physically lying on the ground ? Coz try as I might my neck just wont bend enough to do it.

I just use a telrad now with my non goto set up. However that's using short f/l refractor and a 32mm uwa eye piece which is much better than any guidescope anyway. A finder scope can still be helpful for a long f/l scope with a narrow FOV to finally home in on a difficult target.

I must admit, I prefer the Rigel Qwikfinder to the Telrad - much lighter (and a wee bit cheaper - I am Scottish - so every penny has to be prised away from me).

But I agree, on a non-GOTO setup, either can be better than a poor finderscope.

Tom

I just use a telrad now with my non goto set up. However that's using short f/l refractor and a 32mm uwa eye piece which is much better than any guidescope anyway. A finder scope can still be helpful for a long f/l scope with a narrow FOV to finally home in on a difficult target.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to disagree with you on that one. I used a telrad on my f20 omc and it was far easier than the back to front upside down finder that was normally fitted.

Ok so maybe I'm missing something here, if your target is directly overhead and you're using a newt on a tripod, how do you sight through a straight finderscope short of physically lying on the ground ? Coz try as I might my neck just wont bend enough to do it.

Neither will mine, which is why I bought a 7x50 RA finder for my Newt. I also have a red-dot finder on the scope, which I use to put myself in the right area, and I can search with the 7 degree FOV of the finder. I will never use a straight through finder on a newt again. As mine is a correct image finder, it takes a little thinking to remember which way to move the scope, but you can get used to it. Looking into the finder with your head in a normal position, you can spend the time it takes to get the scope on target without tears streaming down your face because of the pain in your neck. I just might get an RA finder for my frac as well. If I get a crosshair finder for the frac, it certainly will be an RA.

Archived