Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neptune and Triton

lukebl

Following Michael Morris's excellent recent work in imaging Uranus and Neptune with a DSLR, I thought I'd have a go and see if I could image Triton with a DSLR.

So I hooked the DSLR up to a 3x Televue Barlow onto the f/5 200mm Newtonian, and did a series of 10x2 minute exposures at 800 ISO. I took a load of darks too, but couldn't get DSS to stack properly, so I quickly did it manually in Photoshop without the darks.

Bingo! There was Triton, close to the planet. And only 6 degrees from the nearly-full moon! Here's the first effort, without darks so its a bit grainy and with a few hot and dead pixels. Will have a better attempt at stacking after a night's sleep! I'll also work out what the field of view was (this is a full-frame image).

lukebl-albums-luke-s-images-picture6183-neptune-triton2.jpg

And here it is with labels:

lukebl-albums-luke-s-images-picture6182-neptune-triton1.jpg

Truly excellent result. :D

Thanks Michael.

Just wondered how you got your Uranus and Neptune images to stack in DSS. I can't get it to register the images because there aren't enough stars in the image, so it just won't do it. Do you know if there's a way of manually selecting the registering points?

When you register checked pictures, go to the advanced tab and move the slider to the left. Can also untick the box. Both of these will increase the number of stars detected

Tried that, but it still can't find any stars. There are basically just 7 stars in each frame, but the software can't find them or it's decided there aren't enough. Maybe they're too bloated or something? I tried using comet stacking, but it wouldn't allow me to click on Neptune as the 'comet'. So, I'm rather stumped.

Triton is loads clearer without the spikes. Cracking photo, well done.

What with you and Mr the DemonPerformer, the rest of us will have to raise our game a bit!

Trans Neptunian objects anyone?

Archived