Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy 101~~~Lanzarote style.

LukeSkywatcher

This afternoon i arrived home to Dublin having spent a week on the island of Lanzarote.

I only brought a 70mm Celestron Travelscope with me just because.....

While the days were HOT and CLEAR (30-32C), 4 out of 7 nights were cloudy (but still blumming WARM) so i could do [removed word] all with my travelscope.

The 3 clear nights I got,i set my scope up in the darkest corner of the complex and did my best to observe.

I was pretty limited to the Moon,Jupiter,Venus,the double in Perseus,Andromeda etc...............

As i went closer down towards the beach................the more i could see but the LP was still terrible even though i had my LPF with me.

Anyways....................while i was there i befriended an Irish couple who where on holiday with their 8 yr old grandson. I kind of took the grandson under my wing (he made me cry with laughter).

I set my scope up one night to show the grandson the Moon,Jupiter,Venus etc and within minutes i had a crowd of about 20 people (adults and kids) around me ALL wanting to have a look through the scope.

I obliged them all and the "WOW" and "OHHHHH" made it worth while. Many of them asked me questions which i was happy and able to answer.

Many said they would LOVE a telescope (for themselves or their kids) so i pointed them in the direction of SGL/FLO.

I have to say that the "seeing" was PERFECT and i have never seen either Jupiter or Venus so well.The double in Perseus was [removed word] mind blowing.

All in all i didnt spend much time alone observing but i sure as hell sparked the interest in a hell of a lot of people..............

To me.....................that is more important.

I consider my week away in Lanzarote, a very good week for astronomy.

That is excellent Paul, well done!! :):hello2:

So wonderful introducing others to the night sky, and having them marvel at the objects shown. I love it.

Will have to check where Lanzarote is?? :D

Glad you had a good trip - Lanzarote's a great place. I visited a few years ago and drove to a few dark spots - could never completely escape light pollution but got some great views of southerly objects (latitude is 29 degrees so you can theoretically see down to -61 degrees). I do remember quite a bit of cloud, also on Fuerteventura which I visited another time, though plenty of clear sky. I'd checked the moonphase beforehand so had plenty of moonless nights. Would love to go again (with a bigger scope!).

Nice one Paul, glad you enjoyed it.... told you lp was a major problem!

Yes you did. To be honest i was shocked at just how bad it was. Even when looking S or E out to sea the sky glow extended a fair distance out. I'll never complain about the LP from my garden again. Least i can see the MW from my garden.

Thankfully i didnt get pictured either. Although one man did take a picture of his kid looking through the scope. Didnt help with my dark adapted eyes. Infact i was blinded for about 2 mins by the flash.

Guess i should have told them "No flash photography".

• 1 month later...

I'm going for my family holiday in 2011 with the 15x70s.

it's only a quick peek every now and again with the bins so not too fussed but will be nice to see what it's like.

hoping to go to Norway or similar in 2012 as I'd love to see the Aurora sometime in my life - fingers crossed!

Archived