SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Possible aurora sighting Belfast - Photo

I went out to check the gear as it was getting a bit windy, and towards the NE I saw a ?strange looking cloud formation. I ran in to get the camera/tripod, and snapped a few pictures before it disappeared within a few minutes.

Can someone confirm if this is an aurora from my photos? They need a bit of processing, but anything I try to do doesn't work?

Cheers

post-15548-133877472688_thumb.jpg

post-15548-133877472694_thumb.jpg

Sorry, looks like cloud to me. Colour does not look right for aurora, and kinda the wrong direction and orientation. Aurora watch shows no magnetic activity last night, and nothing on spaceweather.

/callump

:D Sorry, but those are 'cirrus radiatus' clouds illuminated by light pollution. Low altitude Auroral structure is green, not streetlight-orange, and the color would show quite easily without any image processing being done. From anywhere in Ireland, you'd need a Kp between 7 and 9 to see anything but the highest it's been since the 19th is a 2.... here's the data. Aside from that, the Bz wasn't far enough south... looks like it was hovering at -3.

TBH, i've no idea... you shouldn't need to tweak Aurora images to see the green color. I've been in Aurora groups for over 10 years and have never heard of anyone seeing or imaging an Auroral display through a "really light polluted" sky, but we've seen many images of cirrus clouds which were thought to be Auroral structure.

Take a look at these images:

7-8 Nov, 2004a

7-8 Nov, 2004b

Notice how the structure lines travel in a straight line and don't 'fan out' or lightly arc upwards like the cirrus radiatus clouds in your image do.

Don't be disappointed. :) Just keep checking spaceweather.com to find out when things look good for an Aurora, and then go somewhere that has a dark northern horizon. 30-60 seconds at ISO 400-800 will show you the color you're hoping to see. :D

Have to agree with Talitha,also the Aurora activity lately has been minor with a Kepplar index of 1 or 2.To able to see aurora as far south as Belfast i would think an index of 5 or so would be required to see anything from your latitude.

Heres an image i took from 59N with a max kepplar index of 4 which shows that the Aurora oval is still nowhere near overhead.

IMG_5319flickr-1.jpg

Archived