NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Q's on Orthos

A few quick questions on orthos.

Is there a difference between volcano top orthos and those with a flat top? Apart from the design?

Will orthos work with a barlow?

I believe optically they are the same design although the Baader Genuine Orthoscopics and University Optics HD orthos have superior quality coatings n than the standard "volcano top" types. The Ortho's I've tried, of both types, have barlowed well.

Personally I find the "volcano top" ones a little easier to use as it's easier to get my eye close to the top of the eye lens which is needed with the shortish eye relief of orthos.

Hi Bombassa

I have a full range of ortho's. I am not aware of any significant difference between the volcano tops and the other types.

Orthos will barlow as well as any other eyepiece

But I take the view that if you can live with the eye relief then get a shorter focal length instead of a barlow as the beauty of the ortho is the low number of glass elements that mean the view is excellent. :D

Cheers

Ian

I believe optically they are the same design although the Baader Genuine Orthoscopics and University Optics HD orthos have superior quality coatings n than the standard "volcano top" types. The Ortho's I've tried, of both types, have barlowed well.

Personally I find the "volcano top" ones a little easier to use as it's easier to get my eye close to the top of the eye lens which is needed with the shortish eye relief of orthos.

So if the choice would be between Kasai and Baader I should pick Baader?

So if the choice would be between Kasai and Baader I should pick Baader?

I've read reviews between the two types where the reviewer could see subtle differences in performance between the two in favour of the Baader Genuine orthos but personally I find they both perform equally well. The choice between the conical and flat top design is an ergonomic one which may or may not make a difference to you.

Archived