Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m31 bagged but bagless

LITTLE COL

advise please here are some images that i took last night of m31 but to no availe ( what have i done wrong) also could not get the motor drive bang on if this matters i don't know

image.jpg

iso800 27 secs 25mm ep

image.jpg

iso1600 27 secs 25mm ep

image.jpg

polaris iso800 10 secs 25mm ep ( never touch mount by accident while taking pics as it will result in this

all with skwatcher130pm and canon300d

anybody is welcome to have a play with these and comments welcome

lc :? :?

mounted it onto the skywatcher eyepice slot but screwed the tmount on then inserted 25mm eye piece then put the canon300d on , maybee this is the wrong way to do it i am waiting till tonight to post pics of my assembly to get an answer

p.s do you have a dslr or thinking about getting one?

little col

:) :)

Current cash flow dictates that I stick to my mobile phone for now - upgrades are free y'know and I'm going for a 3.2mega pixel next week. I don't like the idea of having my pc outside with a webcam as I trip over enough stuff as it is AND it gets so damp here by the river, know what I mean?

Hopefully it would be nice to try a dslr next year so I will be watching others efforts here with interest. Do you have a remote control for yours or are you setting a timer?

got a remote and camera off ebay for £227 but no pc at home so its a bit hit and miss through binos and view finder , but ok through tv through the av cable.but its a dash in all the time

like you i bought scope and camera and now can't afford a pc at home maybee next year we both may have what we want ehh

:) :) :)

LC

You seem to be using eye piece projection for your images.

I've not found this to be any use for DSO's. It may be OK for the moon though.

Have you tried the Canon at Prime Focus ? i.e. Don't use an eyepiece, and use the main scope as a telephoto lens for the Canon.

You may have problems focussing with this method - I understand that reflectors sometimes do not have enough focusser travel.

What were the sky conditions when you took the shots - misty?

There's a lot of dew around at the moment did you have dew on the EP or the mirrors?

It looks to me a combination of mist, dew and out of focus that caused your problems. As Rog says you should have easily picked out the central nuclear core on M31

I would suggest trying Prime Focus on the moon when it's around next week. Easier to see what's happening.

For processing DSO images you also need access to a PC (at home!) and some suitable software. They rarely look any good straight out of the DSLR.

Hope this helps.

MD

Col, before you get an extension, can you tell me. Is it that the focuser has run out of travel inwards, rather than outwards travel? If it's inward (camera going towards to the telescope tube) an extension won't help. Only moving the primary mirror up the tube will cure that. I suspect this is the problem, as it's the one i used to have with my newt.

In the meantime, try someone piggyback images with the camera sat on top of the telescope. Use the standard 18-55 zoom lens and take a nice widefield image. If you have the RA drive running, you should manage a few minutes exposure depending on your polar alignment and sky conditions. Widefield images are very forgiving and only a rough polar alignment will be needed.

Regards

Russ

yes that was the problem russ when i went inward focusing it stopped at the max but not far enough / at that point i was well annoyed :x, is there another way round this as i don't have the expertese in moving the primary mirror even if it is possible. also i will as you advised piggback for a few minutes but what iso would you suggest?

cheers

colin :) :)

Inwards travel, not an easy fix Col iam affraid i would do as Russ suggest's and do some piggyback Astrophotography first, Iso wise depends really but i alwyas use 1600 and get a few frames to stack so itoo elminate Noise..

Col

Nope, the 130 skywatcher hasn't got enough in focus sadly, its about 2cm short.

In fact some other skywatcher scopes have the same problem.

Another way round it is to use a barlow and get a 1.25" to "T"

nosepiece for your camera.

It should then focus but of course it reduces your field of view

Hi Col,

When you were imaging M31 using the eyepiece may of been the problem, if you can next time just use your adapter at Prime Focus with an eyepiece, i never use an EP and i suspect if i tried i certainly wouldn't be able to get focus with my scopes..

Prime Focus using the Scope as a big Telephoto Lens, if you adapter doesn't fit into you focuser then you will need a 2" T-Adapter if you have a 2" Focuser?

James

Hi Col,

Here's some pics with labels so you know what iam talking about :)

Firstly do you have a Barlow with a T-Thread on like in the Photo? normally come with skywatcher scopes and these are 1.25" ?

As you can see from the fninal image it's an easy config, you just place the barlow into your 1.25" focuser and your ready to begin imaging(after focus etc etc)..

With this Barlow and many others you can un screw the lens from it that way you get a bigger FOV (Wider view)..

cheers james done it , when you say you can unscrew the lense do you meen i can unscrew bottom metal capping with the lense attached and screw on a 25mm lense instead

alos on your last pic should i insert an eye pice in there or not as it goes into the camera

best regards colin

:) :) :) :) :)

cheers james done it , when you say you can unscrew the lense do you meen i can unscrew bottom metal capping with the lense attached and screw on a 25mm lense instead

Don't use an eyepiece Col, unscrewing the 'Barlows' Lens is all that is needed unless you want a close up then just leave it as is :)

alos on your last pic should i insert an eye pice in there or not as it goes into the camera

NO don't use any eyepiece Col :)

This in effect will be Prime Focus Astrophotography ...

James

Archived