Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guess which one I'll be upgrading next!?

Moonshane

Hi all

Sold a few nature books recently so I went another step closer to my current ideal set up today with my acquisition of and membership to, the Ethos club.

My new (to me) 13mm sits in the middle of my current eyepiece collection as shown below.

The TMB was bought really as a stop gap until I can save enough for an 8mm Ethos which will be my next purchase I think and possibly my last. The TMB is a perfectly capable eyepiece and has a dual purpose for me currently: 1) to fill the gap between the 3-6mm Nagler zoom and the 13mm Ethos and also to prove to myself that I need an 8mm eyepiece at all; my logic says I will and it's often this focal length which gives the best image at high mags (other than the moon) given the often poor seeing in the UK.

I decided to reduce my eyepiece numbers (I sold two Radians plus some cash to fund the Ethos) as I often found I was forever changing the eyepiece in the hope of a better image. Usually, I ended up going back to the one I had been using. This way with less choice in magnification, but importantly overlapping FOV, I should spend more time at the eyepiece actually observing and less swapping around expensive eyepieces in the dark with the obvious risks :p

The only other changes I may consider in due course is a 21mm Ethos (and sell the 24mm and 35mm Panoptic as these would be encompassed by the 21mm) and possibly a 6mm Ethos but this would be a long way off! as I'll be keeping the zoom and there would be some repetition there although the additional FOV would be nice, albeit not essential cf. the Nagler zoom which I love. I am not sure I could justify the 6mm and I'll be doing a lot of thinking when I have the 8mm. Might even buy a 6mm TMB (new) or Radian (used), again to test the focal length and see if it's one I'll use for a while before committing to another Ethos.

It's looking.......no don't say it........so I might have a chance of a test 'drive' later, and maybe even some Perseids?

Cheers

Shane

post-17776-13387746988_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Same kind of line up that I'm working on. Currently have the 35mm and 22mm Pans, plus a 12mm Nagler (Ethos would be nicer), plus a couple of quality ortho's for high mag work on the planets. Interesting that we've pursued the same(ish) focal length range.

Cheers, Martin

no way mate :D

despite me 'reducing' my collection, I am already thinking about buying a 10mm Radian and when funds allow, replacing my 8mm and 10mm (which I have not even got yet!) Radians with 8mm and 10mm Ethoi.

does this craving never end? :)

One thing I can say 'for sure' is that I won't be buying a longer FL than 13mm in the Ethoi as they are just too expensive and heavy! :o

Archived