Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 pastel sketches of the 2010 Perseïd meteor shower

Roel

Last night I wanted to try something different: drawing a meteor shower instead of photographing it. First I rendered a background with only stars. I used a white pastel pencil for that. Then I added a horizon with a black pastel. One for the sky around midnight; one for two hours later.

I took these background drawings to my favourite observing site. I layed down on a comfortable chair and added every meteor I observed on my pefab sky drawing. After more than 3 hours of observing the clouds got too thick to see any meteors, so I went back home where I added the ground "haze" and the high clouds. These are the results:

Perseiden10-11.jpg

Perseiden10-2.jpg

I must have missed a few bright meteors because while drawing them I heard my fellow observers yell at those fireballs that (of course) showed up when I was drawing the faint one from a few seconds earlier... But a total of around 35 meteors (some of which were very bright witch trails) definitely made it a night worthwhile!

http://www.roelblog.nl/2010/08/perseiden-2010-helemaal-goed/

Archived