Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MN 190 under the Milky Way

Had a fantastic night last Tuesday with awesome views from the garden and a few firsts too - Jupiter, shooting widefield and observing in flipflops! What a treat to have clear skies and no moon during the summer months.

The attached is a single exposure of 30s @ f2.8 and 800 ISO with a 15mm full frame fisheye. By this stage I'd taken several shots of the Milky Way with a few trees to add foreground interest and now fancied a shot of my scope.

I managed to catch a few Perseids during my sess but nothing spectacular. Sod's Law made an unwelcome appearance halfway through my sess when a real fireball flashed overhead about 10 seconds after the shutter clicked shot. Can't win em all, I spose.

Hoping for clear skies again tonight for everyone... :p

post-18666-133877469345_thumb.jpg

Cracking image John :)

Need to wean that MN of those EP's and get a camera on there instead...

Peter...

I know Peter, but I still can't polar align the b*@¢*y thing! :p

I'm hoping for some advise this weekend at Salisbury that will help get me up and running...

I know Peter, but I still can't polar align the b*@¢*y thing! :p

I'm hoping for some advise this weekend at Salisbury that will help get me up and running...

Jon, due to the weight of the ota & loading your mount with the counter balance weights, the standard altitude bolts are very soft, you could say a Mild Steel. Over time they will bend & get stuck into the mount, thus polar alignment will become as issue.

Do yourself a favour & order some of these:

Astrodevelopment Altitude Adjustment Bolts

Their made of Stainless Steel, they won't bend under pressure.

Cheers

Nadeem.

Thanks for that Nadeem, I'll get on to it next week.

You'll devastated to hear that I've just loaded the 190 into the back of my car wrapped in 2 bin bags to take up to Salisbury. What a way to treat such an awesome scope, I must be mad!

Cheers,

Jon

Archived