Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Manfrotto 682B Monopod & Triton Ballhead Action Grip

Manfrotto 682B Monopod & Triton Ballhead Action Grip

Binocular observing made easy.

I was looking for something suitable for use with a pair Helios Apollo 15x70 observation binoculars. I had used a tripod with a panning head, which while it worked quite well, it just didn't give me the portability and convenience I was after. I thought I'd try a monopod and bought an inexpensive £15.00 light duty one and stuck a 2-way panning head that I already had on it. It certainly was a light and portable set-up, but the monopod just wasn't up to the job. It flexed too much and just wasn't rigid enough to provide a stable platform for the bins.

So while I still wanted a set-up that was super portable and convenient I realised I'd have to buy a proper monopod that was up to the job. After looking around and comparing some decent ones I settled on the Manfrotto 682B Self Standing Pro Monopod at £69.95. Very strong and rigid and can handle a 12Kg load. Testing it with the cheap head showed it had the stability I was after, now all I needed was a decent head to go with it. The Triton Panhead, Ballhead Action Grip from Telescope Service wasn't too expensive at £44.99 plus shipping, and has a decent load capacity of 4Kg.

The first time I used it I realised it was the perfect set-up. :D Just extend it to the required height, squeeze the trigger on the head to tilt the bins to the right angle and then tilt the monopod forward, backward, side to side or swivel it to look at whatever you want to look at. Something you just can't do with a tripod. Panning has never been so smooth and effortless. Just squeezing the trigger to adjust the angle of the bins is so convenient. As the head is about 8" tall, and with the tripod bracket extending that a couple of inches more, even when the bins are aimed near the zenith they are far enough away from the monopod that the monopod doesn't get in the way. I've also found that it's great to use when sitting down, particularly if you're looking at the zenith. I don't actually use the little expendable legs for astro observing as they just get in the way.

Conclusion:

This set-up is as easy and convenient to use as a hand-held pair of bins, but you can observe for as long as you want to without your arms getting tired, and of course the bins are stable and not wavering around. The best way I can describe the feel of using this set-up is that the bins felt like they were weightless and I was just aiming them with the pistol grip. This set-up would also handle a pair of 20x100 bins without any trouble.

John

P.S.

I'm not sure if it could be classed as a benefit but the monopod and head are about the same size but with more heft than a baseball bat and would make a great defensive weapon.:)

• 2 weeks later...

How are you getting on with these now John after the honeymoon period as it were, I am getting fed up with being unable to lock the fluid head of my tripod exactly where I want it and sitting with binos and the monopod appeals. I am not too tall at 5'8" will this set up allow you to look at the zenith without stooping, falling over backwards notwithstanding :D

Just a lot of money to splash out.

It's worked so well that I've decided to replace the 15x70s with the 22x85s. The monopod / head setup handles the 15x70s so easily that I know the 22x85s will be just as easy to use. :D

I've found that the best technique when observing near the zenith when standing up is to lean back against a wall and let my head rest against the wall and tilt the monopod back towards me. Really comfortable.

Now all I've got to wait for is the 200P dob that I've got in the for sale section to actually sell. The 15x70s will be going to another SGL member shortly.

John

Thanks John, sounds good, do think small scope ie an ST80 would be too much or even an equinox 80, weight wise no problem, just thinking of keeping it steady and moving at higher mag. If so this could be the ultimate grab and go set up :D

At the typical low mag of a pair of binoculars steadiness isn't a problem, but I do think it would quickly become a bit of a problem if you tried to push the mag.

The ST80 should be fine with a low power wide-field eyepiece. The weight of the Equinox 80 wouldn't be a problem, but the length of the OTA could cause balancing issues.

That gives me a thought......what about one of those giant 80mm finders. Very light weight, compact and designed to work well with a low power eyepiece and have a very wide FOV? They aren't exactly the best as far as CA is concerned but given the low mag that shouldn't be a problem.

John

Cheers John, confirms my thoughts on keeping it steady at higher mags, stop trying to get me to spend money :) TBH the bino view of 70mm IMHO is more comfortable and just as good as 80mm monocular at the same mag, it was just a case of being able to bump the mag up a bit.

Thanks for your help, was tossing up between this and a pair of dew straps and control box, might just wrap some foam padding around the end of the scopes and get this :D

• 2 months later...

That looks a very nice setup you have for a pair of binocs.I am still waiting for my first pair the Adler Kosmos 15 x 70 to arrive,but looking at these shots of your setup this certainly is giving me ideas here.

Thanks for the shots.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived