Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opticron 7x50 Marine-3 binocular.

The good people at Opticron paid us a visit recently armed with a selection of Opticron binoculars. Opticron have a reputation for sourcing good quality affordable binoculars, mostly Japanese-made but more recently they have selected some nice Chinese models. (Some of today's Chinese optics really are excellent, most Celestron and Skywatcher telescopes are Chinese, including some of their top-end PRO models).

After spending an hour or so comparing binoculars (we are now intimately familiar with the Inn and electricity Pylon across the river!) we have added a number of new models to our stock.

One that stood out as being of interest to astronomers is the new Opticron 7x50 Marine-3 binocular retailing at £125.

opticron_marine_3_binocular.jpg

The traditional 7x50 porroprism is the 'classic' binocular for astronomy (Sir Patrick Moore's preferred specification). Comfortable to use with a wide field of view and a useful 7mm exit-pupil diameter. They have a well-built feel to them without being overly heavy. Large prisms, large objectives and multicoated optics deliver a bright, contrasty view.

Waterproof and fog-proof construction with rubber armour ensure they will survive damp and wet weather. If you leave these out in the rain, they will be fine. If you drop them in the mud you can wash them off in a bucket of water!

We like them a lot and think you will too. If you buy one and disagree feel free to return it for a full refund within 60-days.

Can't be fairer than that :)

I use Opticron bins and a scope for birding. They are quite superb!
I can certainly recommend the Opticron Imagic 10x50's that I have had for the last year!

Doc

Opticron binoculars enjoy a good reputation amongst birders and nature observers, we sell a heck of a lot of Opticron Imagic TGA WP binoculars to that market.

Regarding the Opticron Marine 3, I own one of Opticron's more expensive Japanese-made 7x50 binoculars... This new model is better!

Another model that deserves more recognition is the compact Opticron HR WP binocular at £75. Whilst not something you would choose specifically for astronomy it's reverse-porroprism design, 5-element eyepieces, large prisms and 26 mm objectives make it brighter than other similarly priced compact binoculars. Roof-prism binoculars are more popular because they are more compact but you'd need to spend around double to find one that performs as well as the HR WP.

If you are wanting an affordable compact binocular for travel/leisure or something to keep in your car glove compartment for those night-time journeys under a dark sky, these would be perfect :)

I hear 'Country Walking' magazine has just awarded them 'Best Buy'.

opticron_hr_wp_compact.jpg

As a touring cyclist bins like this were my only option and everone should have a pair. Great for birding, emergency astronomy, reading signs at the bottoms of hills so you don't have to ride all the way down to read them, the outsides and insides of fine cathedrals and, I daresay, to help you get the best out of a diva at the opera... (No silly giggling please.)

Brilliant.

Olly

As Steve notes, the main difference is in the bulk and weight of the two models. Other important things to note are FOV (7.5 for WO vs 7.1 for Opticron) and the warranty (2 years for WO vs 10 years for Opticron).

Cheers, Pete - Opticron

Archived