NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It starts with a hole

ampleamp

I finally got off my backside today and made a start on a new observatory, prompted by a lack of use of kit - we have had three clear nights in July, one of which i was working and the other I was away with my other hobby.

In an earlier thread I was considering my options re site. I decided (thanks Mark) that if it is nearby it will be used so have chosen an area of the garden that has the most available sky as well as handy for electric, security, handy for family amongst other considerations. As you can see from the panorama, there is good sky all round although house creates a bit of a block to the south/south east - pic runs from approx 30 degrees through to 330 degrees. The hedge behind to the north is due a 3-4 feet cut soon so reasonably good sky that way as well.

Fairly standard stuff so far - a 1m x 1m x 1m hole slightly over dug to allow a base of bricks. The pipe is 27cm diameter and 192cm long and very heavy at 124Kg. I acquired it from a client who kept it back for me. Happily, it dropped straight into place and after a wiggle settled as near as I could want level. I had all sorts of braces etc ready, but it hasn't moved since.

Have filled the hole approx half way with strong concrete mix, with various added lumps of metal, brick and stone. And that was enough for today, rain again stopped play.

re ground work, my plan is to keep it very simple and build up a decking on which to place a shed. The ground here is slightly sloping - i will adjust the heights of decking posts accordingly for level. Advantages doing it this way are it cuts down the amount of digging and i can feed all cables underneath in a pipe.

More when I get chance,

Alistair

post-19269-133877466193_thumb.jpg

post-19269-133877466195_thumb.jpg

post-19269-133877466201_thumb.jpg

post-19269-133877466207_thumb.jpg

Been given time off for good behaviour so have been to local timber bod to take a look at sheds and decking etc; I am thinking about changing my mind an may go for a 8x6 pent shed rather than an apex - looks easier to adapt and might just suit my individual circumstances better so will measure up this evening against height of hedge etc.

Have now filled the hole with concrete and the pipe to approx 40cm from top - i am getting a pier top from Gary so need to await this to see how it is attached to the pier - also need to let everything dry.

Bit more progress, and just for Karlo there are a couple of piccies :)

I made a blank out of some old fence rails I had lying around - this is to show the internal measurement of the 8x6 shed. I still wasn't settled on which aspect to place the shed and you will see from the post under the blank that there is a reasonable drop. Ultimately, I am sure it will end up with the rolloff supports being up against the small hedge - i put beech hedging plants in there in March so will eventually go some way to hide them, and more importantly, it minimises the effect on the garden. Number 1 son is not at all impressed that some of his (very uneven) football pitch has disappeared.

A bit of yesterday and a bit of today between showers and the second pic is the current state of play. The decking frame is pretty solid with the posts driven into the ground and helped by postcrete. The noggins are tight and aid rigidity considerably.

The base is some old roofing felt that was lying around, it serves no other function but to help keep weeds and grass down, certainly not designed to be a dpc. The big test of how level it is will be when i put on the decking itself, i think it is level, but have my plane ready in case :D

post-19269-133877466752_thumb.jpg

post-19269-133877466756_thumb.jpg

Karlo - when i go back to work I won't have any time so cracking on now, at worst I will have a pier and a platform which i can use one of those allweather cover jobs, but the shed will be nice.

Andy - pier height worked backwards from my comfortable viewing height; subtract 20cm for the pier adapter to get the height of pier in the shed, ie to the floor. Then add 20mm for the floor, 2" for shed runners and a worked out height below the decking to the concrete - ground is sloping so used a scale drawing for some accuracy. Oh, and plus 3' for pier in concrete. (It is in the ground that you have the most scope for adjustment).

Nearly sounds like i know what i am doing - nothing could be further from the truth, good guessing and a reasonable tolerance works for me; however like everything i do it will be over engineered to cover my muppetry factor

:)

Last day at this for a while, got the decking boards in place this morning; still missing facia boards around the edges but that can wait till later.

Decided to fill the gap around the pier with expanding foam to deter any little friends. This will be trimmed as necessary when i sort out a shed.

I have laid the original blank in the second pic, really for my own benefit so i can try out different aspects as still not fully decided on type of shed - i also have an option to look at an older dome observatory, but this went down very badly at home, so for sake of harmony it looks like that won't happen.

I should say thanks to all for the comments and queries; believe me, if i can do it, anyone can - i just happen to have had a bit of time to think about it and then a few days dedicated to the task

post-19269-133877466913_thumb.jpg

post-19269-13387746692_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Made some more progress over the last weekend. 8x8 pent shed duly arrived a couple of weeks ago. Set it up with help of brother in law and then made a fairly standard frame for the roof. Screwfix 50mm fixed castors were used.

My original intention to take the roof off towards the new beech hedge seemed to be the most sensible and I have stuck with it. However the plan for the frame has changed a bit due to miscalculating the distances - measure twice, cut once, never a tier saying!!

The frame and runners are pretty strong and rigid, and I am happy to say that the roof rolls off and back on very easily.

Still got lots to do, like lining it with plyboard, fully sorting out the weatherproofing, electrics, a rubber floor etc etc. Still need a clear night to check mount alignment, the adapter seems to have twisted on the bolts but if ok it will be fine. If not then I will have to dig it out and re-do :-((

5ec119d0-1b52-2c41.jpg

5ec119d0-1b78-83c3.jpg

5ec119d0-1bc8-7ddb.jpg

I have taken and adapted quite a few ideas, especially from MichaelMorris and bizibuilder, who in particular have documented their builds so huge thanks to them and to everyone else I have copied.

More will follow as I get chance but at least mostly it is inside work now.

Archived