SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

i want to see more stuff like the orion neb!

Daniel-K

hi guys early this year i bought my first (lil 3 inch relfector) scope and i saw the orion neb but since then i have had 2 upgrades and now i have my 200p i can not find anything with the same luminosity you know the glow you can see just woundering if any one can point me in a direction?

That's the problem, Orion is good in just about any size of scope. Everything else is simply too far away or too small to be compariable in the northern hemisphere.

Best option is to drag down a list of the Messier objects and sort those by catagory (Galaxy, Nebula, Clusters) then start on whatever takes your fancy.

After that it is emigrate to Aus or New Zealand.

If you decide on New Zealand remember that the Maori name translates as: Land of the long white cloud.

Not as bright but try the North American Nebula, close to Deneb in Cygnus. So nice and high at this time.

It is big, 3x dia of the moon, and the 200 should pick it out.

The Pelican nebula is also close by the NA nebula.

Veil nebula is another in Cygnus, but that is dim.

You might want to try M17 (Swan Nebula) and M8 (Lagoon nebula). Centainly not as bright as the Orion Nebula, and only visible low above the southern horizon, but from a good dark site they look great even trough a 3" scope.

And what about M27! One of the brightest planetary nebula's in the sky. Perfectly visible in this time of year and it rises high in the sky. Even a 3" will reveal the hourglass-like shape!

Also - have a good look at M3 and M92 in Hercules - lovely shiny jewel boxes (Globulars Clusters by their real name) - no nebulosity, but will be absolutely stunning in an 8" newt like yours.

Have a look at the Veil Nebula in Cygnus on a moonless night as well - another treat! No where near as bright as M42, but nevertheless a wonderful site in a larger aperature.

And above all - enjoy searching....

Cheers,

Richie

How about a planetary nebula like M57 - it is brighter and more well defined than M27. Nobody seems to have mentioned M13 yet - it's called the Great Globular Cluster for a reason.

I only bought my scope this april, so I am eagerly awaiting the dark winter skies to see the Orion neb....

If you decide on New Zealand remember that the Maori name translates as: Land of the long white cloud.

Just a foot note..Maori name for Britain translates as `Land of the long grey cloud`.....

Archived