NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A couple of works in progress.

RobH

Hello folks.

I don't usually post unfinished work, but I've not had a chance to complete any projects recently due to work, so I thought I'd post what I'm working on.

These are both quick and dirty processings...no flats, darks or bias, so there are plenty of colourful hot pixels around!

M13 is just 1 hour of data. 20 minutes of each colour channel in 2 minute subs. This is my core data and is fine for that, but I need to add a lot more to this in longer subs to go deeper on the fainter areas and reduce the noise levels.

M27 is a composite made up of layering Ha/G/OIII, and RGB.

The starfield is pure RGB.

RGB is 10 minute subs....10 each of red and green, and just 1 blue.

Ha and OIII are 15 minute subs, 5 of each.

This will have tons more added to it....another 10 red and green subs, and 19 more blue, plus lots more Ha and OIII, probably in 20 minute subs as I want to get a good capture of the outer nebula, and I'm also going to add data from my LX200 close-up from a couple of years ago.

Anyway....I'm pleased with the results so far, and itching to get home at the end of the month to continue working on these :eek:

Cheers

Rob

post-14403-133877463839_thumb.jpg

post-14403-133877463847_thumb.jpg

Hi Nadeem.

M27 kindof needs some more blue.....one blue sub just doesn't cut it, hence the odd background colour, but as I say, a work in progress.

The next version will no doubt have a good 24 hours thrown at it, and look a tad deeper :eek:

Rob

The next version will no doubt have a good 24 hours thrown at it, and look a tad deeper :eek:

Rob

Better bring some clear skies back with you then Rob... its been Pretty Dire again this summer...

Yet another summer of incomplete projects...

I am sure the "finished" images will be "super... smashing... great..."

Peter...

Hi Rob,

I too am wondering where to go with my RGB M27. Paulo's super HaO111 did wonders for the halo so I will give those wavelengths a go but as to how to combine them... well, as yet no idea. I look forward to seeing yours grow.

I'm thinking of giving the f4 imaging Newt a gallop on the M27 narrowband since the halo is so darned feeble.

All good fun!

Olly

Crikey Rob. How cool to say these need lots more work.

I would be overjoyed to have these just as they are ;).

M13 looks like your frac. was the scope.

I hope the weather allows you to finish what you need to do.

Ron.:eek:

Thanks guys.

Ron, it was the 6 inch frac on both images...I really like how it's worked on M13 :eek:.

Olly....I was interested reading the thread a while ago where how to combine NB and RGB was discussed.

On the M27 here, I did a Ha/G/OIII image, and a RGB, and dropped one onto the other and then adjusted the opacity.

What I have considered, but not tried yet, is to get my R,G & B masters, convert them each from greyscale to RGB colour, and then use the NB as luminance over them (Ha as luminance over the red for example). After this, flatten the image, then reconvert to greyscale and use the resulting 3 images to constuct a colour image in the normal way.

Worth a try I think ;)

Cheers

Rob

Very nice Rob! They are going to be spectacular.

How to you manage to keep the star sizes the same? I found that the OIII channel once processed had bigger stars that the Ha channel - this made the stars two tone (normal in the centre surrounded by a greeny tinge).

Looking forward to the finished images.

Ant

How to you manage to keep the star sizes the same? I found that the OIII channel once processed had bigger stars that the Ha channel - this made the stars two tone (normal in the centre surrounded by a greeny tinge).

Ant

Hi Ant.

I keep the star sizes under control by using a RGB layer, and erasing the narrowband stars to show the RGB ones.

Where you can't easily do this, when the stars are embedded in a nebula for example, you can select tose stars and desaturate them, then add your RGB stars by making them into a layer that has the blend mode as 'Colour'. You need to experiment with the stauration of that layer, and brightness, but with a bit of messing around you can make it work.

Cheers

Rob

Archived