Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Filter Advice

I hope this question hasn't already been done to death (sorry if it has!)...

I live in quite a light polluted area and so I've started to look around for filters that might help me as I'm not getting the clearest views of some clusters and nebulas. I spotted this Neodymium Filter and wondered if it's as good as it appears. I'm especially interested in the claim that it "Intensifies surface details on Mars, Jupiter" as I generally prefer planetary viewing at the moment.

I've noticed that a number of other places sell light pollution filters at a significantly higher price, so I thought I may be missing something.

Alternatively, would it be better for a beginner like me to get a filter set like this to get started with so that I have a wider selection of filters to experiment with and see what works for me?

Thanks very much,

The Neodymium is the only filter I use now for Saturn and Jupiter. Works well on Mars too, although a few coloured filters are useful for bringing out specific details on Mars. It's also the best Moon filter I've ever used as it gives the Moon a nice natural grey colour as well as increased contrast.

All in all I highly recommend it.

John

I've just received my filter after ordering it yesterday afternoon from RVO (very prompt service, very pleased with them), but a believe we're due another 39 days of rain if the legends are true.

Gah, I wanted to try it out tonight. :)

we're due another 39 days of rain if the legends are true

Tell me about it :D Ive had the scope out only 2 or 3 times in the past month. And the forecast for next week isnt looking good either!

Oh, I have that filter too. Pretty soon you will realise its one of those things you cant go without :)

How is it for cutting out light pollution? I'm trying to take astrophotos from north london, and the sky glow really shortens exposures (along with my poor leveling and polar aligning).

would it be better for a beginner like me to get a filter set like this to get started with

Some points on that:

• It's not good value
  • You'll not use the filters as much as you might think

Also, Widescreen-Centre can be very frustrating to deal with: Their reputation for not answering emails is well-deserved, and they often don't return phone calls - no matter how much money you're spending. I've completely given up using them now - I've given them the benefit of the doubt on too many occasions.

Thanks great_bear, I bought the Neodymium filter in the end.

In Widescreen Centre's defence, I work not too far from them, so I can actually go to the shop to buy what I need rather than ordering online. It saves me any problems at least although isn't obviously suitable for everyone.

Archived