NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sun - the movie

Kaptain Klevtsov

Today I had an hour free so I had another play with the PST. I tried to get a movie type effect as I've been very impressed with these before. I got set up and did 14 back to back avis of 55 seconds with a 5 second gap between done in autopilot mode with K3CCD tools. I then Registaxed them individualy using the save settings / load settings option on wavelets to keep the processing consistent. Next into Photoshop to paint the colour on and save as jpegs. I thought that Registax had an option to save the AVI after registration so that the images lined up better, but I couldn't get it to play ball, so back to Photoshop. I manually aligned the frames and then cropped the lot. Next was saving as jpg with one layer switched on until I had 14 lined up jpg files. Virtualdub converted these to an AVI and set the frame rate to 3 frames per second then Movie Maker to convert it to WMV format as that is much more compressed.

http://www.gas.uk.net/images/solarprominence.wmv

Captain Chaos

CC,

Am i right in saying you turn something on the PST and that allows you to see differant layers (forgot the name of it) then if you like you can image at all these levels and composite an image to show all whats on offer through the PST?

Sorry if this makes no sence or is a silly thing to ask but i know nothing about these scopes and quite fancy one soon.

Thanks

James

Yes james, not quite layers as you can't see deeper than the surface (its not X-ray vision) but you can tune in to different bits of the scene. There's a ring at the eyepice end of the 'scope tube (next to the bit that looks a bit like a diagonal, on the gold coloured tube) that allows you to "tune" the 'scope to very slightly different frequencies either side of the hydrogen alpha frequency. That allows for stuff moving away from you or towards you as that has a positive or negative red shift effect on the emmission line that you want to see. Turning the ring changes the view and it seems that the position for prominences is different from the position for surface detail. You can get half way between the two but thats a compromise and you tend to be able to image neither part very well.

Also, because of the rotation you can't seem to get prominences on both sides at the same time however that isn't an issue, as a webcam cannot reach focus on a (newer) PST without a Barlow lens attached. DSLRing the PST is not good as the Ha light only registers on the red parts of the sensor leaving big black bits on the image where the blue and green data should be. Due to the way that DSLRs are made the red only accounts for 25% of the pixels (green is 50%, blue the other 25%) so noise is horrid and nasty to get rid of. Best way round it is with a mono chipped CCD so that you can get the data on every pixel.

Captain Chaos

Excellent explanation and fully understood thanks CC, amazing what AM Astronomers can get hold of now for relatively a small amount of money given the technologies involved..

Certainly wetting my appetite CC with your images and those of the other PST imagers :D

James :rolleyes:

Archived