Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

c80ed focusser,need a new one

The problem with the C80ED is that it uses a screw on thread to attach the focuser and the only supplier of an adapter is agena astro in the US.

Agena AstroProducts Crayford Focuser Adapter for Celestron C80ED Refractor

See this thread for info

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/100285-agena-astro-gso-10-1-ds-focuser-review.html

there is another alternative- you heard of 'moonlite' yet? :-)

Before you go spending £190 on the GSO from Agena, thought i would let you know Scopes'n'skies sell the Antares 1:10 86mm fit for £116 delivered. It's the same focuser as the GSO from Agena (and TS) but for a lot less. I would sell you an adapter but i can get it off the scope now. ;)

£369 ;) for a focuser......crikey i would be feeling ill after spending that much and i wouldn't go home either.

it's a thing of beauty for sure but there's a lot more you could spend that sort of dosh on. It's a life investment I suppose so you pays yer money etc.

I've been through the trying to improve the C80ED focuser bit myself, and though it an be improved somewhat it's never going to compare to even a cheap crayford.

The Telescope Service MonoRail crayford focuser is another alternative. It will handle nearly twice the load of the Agena (GSO) focuser and is a really nice and smooth focuser and the price isn't too bad at about £166.00 delivered. The only downside is that it doesn't have as much drawtube travel as the GSO or MoonLite, but a simple 2" eyepiece extender would take care of that if needed.

I put one on my TMB 80mm achro and I'm very impressed with it, much smoother and more precise than a GSO or SkyWatcher crayford.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3946_MONORAIL-2--Refraktor-Auszug-u-a--f--Skywatcher---Anschluss-86mm.html

You'll still need the Agena adaptor though.

John

Archived