Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daytime Phenomena

TopHouse

OK, maybe it's because I spend more time looking up now than i ever have, but saw something today i have NEVER seen before, it's been rather hot in the UK today, and there was absolutely no sign of rain, this was almost directly overhead.

post-18181-133877459634_thumb.jpg

That's a circumzenithal arc (CZA) - not often seen but not amazingly rare when you have a veil of cirrostratus cloud in the upper atmosphere. One of the class of phenomena caused by refraction in ice crystals.

Your photograph is an unusually good example.

Wow, I haven't seen one of those before. I saw a set of sun dogs three weeks ago. Can anybody explain how they are formed?

Essentially from what i understand they are formed in the same way (re: brian's post). I saw a very impressive example of a solar halo last week. It stretched a good quarter of the way around the Sun and was very bright and vivid in red and green. A couple of yrs ago i saw a similar halo that went around the whole Sun.

See! I don't know why these sciency type people go to all that trouble of inventing hard names for things, if it's raining you can get a rainbow, if it's sunny but not raining you can get a 'sunbow' easy peasy! I can do science me!

See! I don't know why these sciency type people go to all that trouble of inventing hard names for things, if it's raining you can get a rainbow, if it's sunny but not raining you can get a 'sunbow' easy peasy! I can do science me!

I would prefer a STRONGBOW.....a nice cold one if its sunny:D

Archived