NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AT LAST - MY SCOPE

Yay, my missus is okay bart it and I pick up my scope t'mora. Double bonus! Explorer 200 on HEQ5, am going to get the SkyScan addon later and spend some money on eyepieces - What I would like to know is your views on which eyepieces I should get and possibly a pointer to any other useful bits I mite need. Ive got Starrynight pro and Stellarium software to help me along.

I feel like a kid at xmas!! :rolleyes:

Scotty

Congrats Scotty.

First two things IMO are are a Cheshire collimation tool (about £25) to make sure your optics stay aligned and a 32mm/40mm eyepiece so you can find objects more easily.

The 32mm Celestrons on Ebay are only £12-£15 and a very good eyepieces for the money.

Gaz

Exciting times Scotty. You will love the scope but prepare for hours of frustration - clouds, getting the alignment right and then tripping over the tripod, condensation, ricking your neck through impossible contortions trying to look through the EP, pointing the scope where the target should be only to see stars. Oh the fun of star gazing :? But when you find an elusive fuzzy patch...well it makes it all worthwhile 10 times over. You've made a good choice Scotty. Enjoy!

As this is a f/5 scope, I would suggest a 5mm Plossl, a 20, and a 32, and a 2x Barlow. If you can't buy them all at once, I would say get the 32 and the Barlow first, then the 20, then the 5. In the end this gives you a 32 (32x), 20 (50x), 16 (64x), 10 (100x), 5 (200x) and 2.5 (400x, for especially good nights.) Eventually you might want to toss in an 8mm (125x and 250x.)

An LP filter would probably be a good purchase, too.

HTH

I agree with WH - only thing he didn't say was which Plossls. The Meade series 4000 super Plossls (20mm, 32mm) are reasonable - and recently reduced in price. You can pick them up on e-bay regularly. I have found them good all-purpose EPs.

Congratulations on the Astro kit - now I know why the weather has been so carp up here recently - the "new telescope curse" settled up here.

Enjoy the new kit - tons of fun playing around with an8" reflector an a good mount.

Tom

I would say the best plossls you can afford! But, as budget is always a consideration, Antares Super Plossls are a good place to start. I would seriously suggest looking at UK Buy & Sell, or at our members' buy and sell. The Celestron Ultima Barlow is generally agreed to be of good quality.

Just finished work n its overcast unlike last nite, the moon was right out my room window so I kept avin a neb thro the bins while I was on the computer.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll get a 10mm, 25mm and x2 barlow with the setup, i dont know how good they are, they come with the Explorer 200 package. U may well know what type these are. Ive got about £300 to spend on extras but could stretch abit more, i'd like to get a modded webcam with this too.

Tell me how I shud spend my money please! :D

I know I need a collimator and Im looking on buy and sell at different eyepieces but there are so many and some I have never come across before :rolleyes:.

Scotty

When you've done relaxing,

Standard advice really:

Upgrade the two eyepieces supplied to a couple of quality Plossls (£30-50 each) then buy a good Barlow and a wide-field 2" 30mm(ish) eyepiece. A Moon filter, a Baader Neodymium (if necessary) and a Cheshire collimating eyepiece.

Job done :rolleyes:

Archived