I have been working nights but now they made me switch to working days (which sucks cause I had to work 24 hours straight). But now I have time to get to the local bookstore. I plan on seeing if they have the book called “Turn Left at Orion”. I was wandering if someone could recommend any other books I should look into getting as an inspiring astronomer.

Wow! I've got to answer this one - where to start! He He! Here's some that have helped me out so for:

'The Backyard Astronomers Guide' by Dickson & Dyer - Very good all round astronomers guide.

'The Practical Astronomer' - by Will Gater & Anton Vamplew - Good Beginers guide with lots of really good illustrations.

'Stargazing With A Telescope' - by Robin Scagell -One of the range of books on astronomy by Philip's including some Night Sky guides by Sir Patrick Moore (He knows a few things on the subject!).

Doc

Burnham Celestial Handbooks (Vol. 1, 2, 3)

=> the whole sky in 2100 pages, it's old ('70) so the astrophysical information is very often uncomplete or wrong, but it's very rich of info about deep sky observation, also with quotation from litterature (from ancient greek to today) and from famous astronomers of the past. Simply AWESOME!

Available in paperback or hardcover.

ciao

dan

Do you want a practical guide or a theoretical? For a good, accessible overview of the science of astronomy, with the maths optional and boxed off separately, Kauffmann's Universe would be hard to beat. I just love it. It is a huge, friendly uncle of a textbook with superb graphic explanations. The authors are professional rather than amateur astronomers, it is widely used at introductory level in higher education and is regularly re-edited. It can, therefore, be relied on. It is my desert island book. (I'm an amateur with no talent for maths.)

Olly

PS www.abebooks.com is a brilliant source of second hand books.

Olly

I would second Space Beagle`s recommendation of The Backyard Astronomers Guide, a very comprehensive tome, and of course TLAO, there is a reprint for 2010 which should now be in the stores, to find your way about the sky Sky & Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas can be most helpful together with a red torch.

John.

I've just bought myself a couple of the (three volume) Cambridge "Deep Sky Companions" books. They are definitely "Level Two", but still useful bedtime (and practical!) reading. I think they will keep me going forever - Or at least after I've worked my way FULLY, and consistently, though the "Turn Left at..." Book. :rolleyes:

Well I went to the bookstore last night. They didn’t have “Turn Left at Orion”. No big surprise … they never have the book I really want. But they did have the books that Space Beagle recommended I got “The Practical Astronomer” I want “The Backyard Astronomers Guide” but it cost 50 bucks!!!:rolleyes: Thank you all for your recommendations.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Archived