NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen GP Mount or EQ5?

Hi All,

This is a question for those whom have used the Vixen GP and the EQ5.

Which is the better mount?

I have to get rid of one, so I would like to keep the better of the two.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

I haven't used an EQ5 but have used for many years a GPDX mount and more recently an NEQ6. If your GP mount is a GPDX version I would think it is superior to the EQ5 - it does have a higher load capacity. If it is just a GP I would have thought the EQ5 would be better to keep.

Dave

The Vixen GP is in the same "class" as the EQ5 but much better engineered. The problem with them can be getting drives if you have not already got them - they are not compatible with the EQ5 / CG5 motors I believe.

If you already have the motors personally I'd keep the Vixen GP.

I began with a Vixen GP which had a star book on it this worked well for shorter images and viewing, but have recently moved to an NEQ6 and have found this to be better for longer images and for guiding.

Kate

The Vixen GP is in the same "class" as the EQ5 but much better engineered. The problem with them can be getting drives if you have not already got them - they are not compatible with the EQ5 / CG5 motors I believe.

If you already have the motors personally I'd keep the Vixen GP.

My last GP was fitted with standard Synta dual drives, fitted by the previous owner. I then took them off and fitted an EQ5 Synscan upgrade to the GP.

As John says, the GP is vastly better engineered, feels better, it's the one i would keep.

This was my GP:

post-12650-133877457442_thumb.jpg

I have looked at the manual for the GP and it has a lower load capacity then the EQ5, the GP can take about 15lb, and the EQ5 can take about 22lb. I think I will spend a weeks worth of viewing with both and see which I think performs better, and which one feels more natural to use.

I have a GP, and it is built very well. The difference in load capacity may be down to the tolerances the Vixen engineers allowed. I have piggybacked a 4.5" F/4.4 Newtonian as a giant finder (over the top, I know) on my GP-C8 (with an extra counterweight on other side to balance it out). The total weight, with EP, diagonal, etc. was nearer the 20 than the 15 lb, but the system worked fine. The only reason I am considering changing I only have the single axis drive one.

Yes, ignore the load capacities. The difference could be down to weaker tripod the Vixen ships with or the Vixen engineers have been conservative with their figures. If anything, i found the Vixen to have a better load capacity than the CG5 once it was mounted on the CG5 steel tripod. Just down to the better engineering i guess, no play in either axis.

I never minded the wooden tripod the mount came on (do not forget, the tensile strength of even pine wood is in the order of 1.2 tons per square cm, compressive strength is similar). Tightening the screws which hold the leg extensions in place can be critical though, and in cold night differential thermal expansion can cause them to loosen halfway through observing.

To be honest, I have realised that I will have to stick to the EQ5, as the Dual Axis Motors do not fit the GP.

Is there some sort of adaptor kit on the market for the GP to take the same motors?

• 4 years later...

Apologise, but I do not understand the question.

Why you don't simply keep the one you feel more comfortable with? I am just trying to understand.

Are these two mounts the very similar in terms of weight, tripod height, usability, vibration damping, assembly time, motion controls robustness and accuracy, etc? 

Archived