NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rotating Roof Obsy Pics

Davei

Kris, Ron & all,

Thanks for the comments. I will post some pics of the pivot arrangement shortly. Re: the patent, several others have suggested patenting it and it does seem to be unique, but I would rather help those that want go also go Rotating Roof approach than go through the hassle & expense of a patent.

cheers

dave

Good on yer Dave.

I think its a wonderfull bit of lateral thinking.

Bob

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davei, I hope I didn't offend you with that rubbish bin picture. It just reminded me of that...

I find this a great design and I would consider doing something similar if I could make a roof in one piece like that...

Thanks guys for your comments. The roof was molded in fibgerglass with a 2 inch thick foam core. It had flanges molded into each side for the pivot arms. The final gel coat on the outside had special wax content so that lichen hopefully won't grow on it. The inside surface has a white gel coat so that I can use it for Flat Field calibration shots. The mold construction is shown on the attached pic. It was pretty big for only a 7 x 7ft roof. I had it made by a company that makes figreglass swimming pools.

post-16111-133877457507_thumb.jpg

John, the roof weights 215 lbs. Lighter would be better since the counterweights could then be reduced. However, it has 2 flanges on each side to secure the pivot arms and a 6 inch flange on both North & South sides to stop the rain from coming in under the roof. They give it rigidity but also some extra weight. I would guess that aluminium lined with insulation would be a lot lighter. You could make the pivot arms out of welded Al tubing with plates welded where the bearings and counterweights are fitted. They could be secured by bolts to welded flanges on the inside of the roof.

John, I'll scan my drawings and e-mail them to you but if you want to change the dimensions you may want to contact Norman and he can re-run the design on his Autocad (but he may charge).

I don't know the production cost because for me it included designing and constructing the mold, laying up the fibreglass and core and quite a bit of tinkering around. For example we changed the final gel coat to one with a high wax content to stop lichen growing on the roof through our southern winter. However, none of it is difficult and it should be do-able as a home job in a few weeks.

• 10 months later...

Archived