Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ED80 / 100 Focuser - Rubber Grip Replacement

John

On my ED80 the rubber grips have perished and fallen off the focussing wheels - this is quite a common problem I understand. I was going to put some black tape around them but I wonder if anyone else has has the same issue and come up with a more "elegant" solution.

BTW I had to re-word this enquiry - my orginal wording was "my knob rubbers have fallen off - must have perished" but my misses said that I better change it ! (can't think what she saw wrong with it myself....).

John,

North Somerset

Please PM me a price; I feel sure I can put people your way :rolleyes:

Do you have a pic?

For normal use, the Synta R&P focuser is fine but a strip-down, regrease and better focus wheels would make quite a difference.

For normal use, the Synta R&P focuser is fine but a strip-down, regrease and better focus wheels would make quite a difference.

I've got the large alluminium focus wheels on that 150mm f5 refractor you sold me. They do make quite a difference in perfomance.

Well, no pics as I don't have any at the moment... someone here may have some though. As I said, I tended to make them to order. Thinking about it I do remember having one around as I made a set for the ED114SS and then fitted an Artemis autofocuser to it. I'll have a look later.

Arthur

Got 2" Stellarvue At1010 wheels on my scopes. Look like the wheels off an armoured jeep but the feel is great. Had a ed80 focuser once - those rubbers NEVER last long. Collection of O-rings did the job for mine too.

Funnily enough I was wondering about having a look in a model shop to see if rubber tyres used for R/C cars would fit - the ultimate accessory for the ED80 - Pirelli P7 focus wheel tyres !.

Maybe I'll settle for O-rings....

Thanks for the suggestions chaps,

John

Found the answer to my own question - an old cycle inner tube !.

I cut a slightly oversized "hoop" of rubber off the inner tube, eased it on to the metal focusser wheel, trimmed the excess carefully off and then eased the hoop into place between the 2 raised rims on the wheel. Looks as good as new - just flat rubber now rather than dimpled.

Cheers,

John,

North Somerset

Archived