Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very Brief first light - Quantum 15x70

MarkF

Bought from FLO delivered within a day, excellent service, boy are these big they dwarf my 10x50's.

First off the case is not that friendly for a quick grab but certainly robust enough to protect the bins, they live in a hard fold around box affair which then has to slip into the soft case which is a bit of a tight squeeze.

My only other experience is with a pair of made in Hong Kong 10x50 Miranda Dixons specials bought during the 80's which have finally given up collimation, still okay for day use but double image on pinpoints of light at night.

The Quantums appear solid and heavy enough, I bought the large tripod bracket as well which has two mounting threaded holes allowing nearly perfect COG balance on the tripod, its about a cm to the rear and not worth worrying about. A quick daylight peak showed all to be very clear and pinpoint sharp once I found something far enough away to focus on.

Last night there was a break in the cloud and I set up the tripod tightened the bins down and saw Venus between two trees low in the blue sky winking at me. So whipped the caps off and set the focus up, I am sure it said somewhere that both eyepieces were focusable but I found the right hand only to be so, which is fine as that is all I need.

Venus was bright as ever and a bit of a glare, but I swear I caught a glimpse of a crescent, might just have been wishful thinking. After an eyeful of that and it dipped behind the trees I retired inside awaiting darkness. inside I fired up Astroplanner to list what I might be able to see later.

Half ten and I couldn't wait any longer do toddle off out only to be confronted with my neighbours Gazebo fluttering in the wind which in turn set off his 500w security light a couple of times a minute. Pointed at Saturn and after tweaking the focus could see a nice round disk with a hint of ears and the clear orange dot of Titan. this view is clearer than my than my 4.5 inch reflector although I could make out the ears more in that but just not such a sharp focus. With still light skies I was pleased to pick out Titan at I believe Mag 8. A far superior view to the 10x50's.

I tried to then look a bit higher but my back and legs wouldn't let me do that for long enough to do anything, so onto M3. Easily visible grey fuzzy at mag 7 in a light sky despite the flashing security light completely ruining any chance of night vision. A quick check revealed nice pinpoints of light which only became distorted at the very edge of the view and I am talking the last few mm's. EP rubbers sort of pull out/unscrew for eye relief I only tried them fully out and they are not cups as I had on my other binos but like a rubber extension of the EP, comfortable none the less.

I had fully intended to stay out until after midnight, but back and security light dampened my enthusiasm for anything more than an hour. I quickly scanned around marvelling at the hidden stars I could see and how bright they appeared. Annoyed at myself and the light, which will be fixed before tonight unlike the back, I will try out some sitting positions with the tripod soon.

So far so good, I can see these getting a lot of use, more than my small reflector that's for sure I can't wait for darker skies and I need to try splitting a few doubles just to make sure the collimation is good enough, once or twice I was getting slight doubling but moving my eyes snuggly against the pulled out eyepiece rubbers seem to alleviate that. I am just a bit paranoid about collimation problems hence why I bought these over revelations which I understand can be a bit hit and miss whether you get a good pair or not. I also used this to justify the extra expenditure and I do tend to keep things for a long time so I wanted a pair that would last and being Nitrogen filled I shouldn't get fogging issues.

Very pleased with first try and can't wait for the skies to get darker and see how far these babies go. Of course now I may need to upgrade my tripod head as the fluid head is a bit fluid even with the tension adjusted up hard.

Thanks for reading.

Great stuff. I agree with you about the case. My 20X90 bins have a similar case and the hardest part about using the bins is getting them out of the case and then back in. Its too easy to lose your hold on them taking them out/putting them in...which could lead to a nasty accident.

Thanks for the photos, the binoculars look nice. What kind of case is the "not that friendly" one that they come with?

Well the case provides adequate protection but care is needed when extracting and replacing the binos, its a tight fit, I will probably buy a flight case for them anyway from Maplins, I have a small one for 15 quid and need to see if they will fit in it.

I am probably being over critical and at this price from FLO it certainly isn't a reason to not buy them, I am just used to the traditional hard case which my 10x50 binos came in. Oh and I would normally have the objective lens to the bottom I just put them this way up to better demonstrate the bag/case. I am a great believer in making things easy and whilst not particularly hard it is definitely easier to leave them out either laying around or on the tripod which is obviously asking for them to get bumped and knocked accidentally.

post-19347-133877455079_thumb.jpg

post-19347-133877455086_thumb.jpg

post-19347-133877455093_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1338774551_thumb.jpg

How is the eyerelief? I have the 10x60 version wich has way to much eyerelief but a remarkable sharp field almost to the edge. They are very sharp and come with a good leather case and belt. Aperture is reduced probably in favor a sharp field. They have good coatings wich reflect few light.Not up to the level of the BA8 series but still niced binoculars and a low price.

How is the eyerelief? I have the 10x60 version wich has way to much eyerelief but a remarkable sharp field almost to the edge. They are very sharp and come with a good leather case and belt. Aperture is reduced probably in favor a sharp field. They have good coatings wich reflect few light.Not up to the level of the BA8 series but still niced binoculars and a low price.

Not sure I can answer that question, I think eye relief is a personal thing the eye relief rubbers are adjustable though so you can have your eyeball up against the glass or pull them out about 6-8 mm to increase it. if you look at the pictures I have them pulled all the way out and the push in up to the collar so that's the adjustment you get. Also you will get a 6mm exit pupil whereas I get 5mm I am sure that has some impact on eye relief too.

My exit pupil sure does not reach 6 mm because of the reduced aperture but you are right about eyerelief : it a personal thing.

However the eyerelief is soo big with the 10x60 i cannot put my eye against the rubbers even pulled all the way out.

Maybe it's just less on the 15x70.

I am pretty sure exit pupil on 10x60 binoculars is 6mm whereas its 5 mm on 10x50 divide the aperture by the magnification to arrive at eye relief and depending on your own pupil size at night as to whether this 6mm is too much for you possibly why you can't get your eye close to the caps I don't know. I only thought too much exit meant your eyes just couldn't absorb all that light. My eyes are pretty flexible i guess as I can push up tight to the caps or still see through them an inch away just obviously not the whole FOV.

You are talking to a complete newbie here when it comes to understanding all this stuff, I have just looked through them for the last 30 odd years and they made things bigger, that's all I needed to know :)

Hehe, I just looked at your profile and you are exactly 2 years older than me to the day, lucky 13 for us :-) so that would indicate your eyes dilation will max out at around 5mm at night possibly 6mm.

I am pretty sure exit pupil on 10x60 binoculars is 6mm whereas its 5 mm on 10x50 divide the aperture by the magnification

It is not. In theory it should be. But as i said the 10x60 has reduced aperture. When you measure the exit pupil with a caliper it sure does not reach 6 mm. I am not the only one who has measured that.

Anyhow, i was just curious about the eyerelief. It sounds on the 15x70 it's less of an issue.

Hi Michael,

Its a Velbon D600 with a fluid head and holds the weight very well, obviously shakes a bit at full extension but with the FOV you do not need to keep adjusting to keep the target in view.

My Velbon is quite old now and the fluid head sometimes doesn't want to stop where I want it to when locking it tight and the binos slip up a fraction.

I should think any heavy duty tripod with 2 way head would be good, fluids cost a bit more but are handy and its what I had for my camcorder.

Been thinking about a pair of binos lately so your size comparison between the 10x50 and 15x70`s has helped a lot.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy using your new purchase.

Will.

Been thinking about a pair of binos lately so your size comparison between the 10x50 and 15x70`s has helped a lot.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy using your new purchase.

Will.

Thanks Will, glad it helped and good luck with the decision making.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick addendum to this thread, the small aluminium flight case from maplins is the perfect size for these binoculars, no longer do I have to struggle with the bag/case and they are more secure too against knocks in storage.

Hey Mark

Nice thread,they sound pretty good,have you had any further clear nights with them yet?

Are they made well and do they have nice coatings on the lens.

Mine should be here friday :D

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

Not really used them in true anger again due to too many other toys to play with and not enough clear nights. For DSO I would put them almost on a par with my ST80 at the same magnification. Coatings look good to me but I am no expert, they smell expensive lol, bit stiff but that will ease up I am sure. They are very well made, I think you may be struggling hand held, but I have just gone the JohninDerby way and ordered the monopod and pistol grip, that and the new case will make them more accessible for a quick gander at the skies.

Did you order the large tripod bracket too?

Mark

Cheers for that,no not ordered the bracket yet,wat to see them first,i am actually reading a back issue of sky at night from july 2006 as there are reviews of 15x70's in there and the q4's are there too.

Reading the review they sound ok,but didnt come top,they say the eyecups are hard plastic and the diopter adjustment is hard to turn and its a slightly different mechanism with 2 places to hold to adjust.

Is this true?

Also they say looking at the moon there was distracting internal reflections because it was so bright,again have you looked at the moon and is this correct.

Beginning to wonder wether to rign steve tomorrow am and change them for something else.lol.

Cheers gary

Gaz,

The diopter adjustment is on one eyepiece and a simple lever affair, the eyepieces are soft but not cups as you can see from my pics, you pull them out for comfortable eye relief. I am pretty sure this version hasn't been out that long, but I could be wrong.

As to looking at the moon, never noticed any reflections, but if I want to stare at the moon I won't be using binos not enough mag for a start. I like to look at non naked eye stuff with the binos and now its getting proper dark at night looking forward to finding a few DSO's and doubles.

Thats if we ever get a clear night with no moon.

With your record Gaz they will be up for sale next week anyway :D:D but seriously it depends how much you want to spend, I was prepared to go a bit more than the revelation 50 quid bracket as I had read about hit and miss collimation issues, but wasn't wanting to go all out as much as a telescope for a pair. Its really a balancing act in terms of affordability and quality and useability.

Clear night forecast for Friday, but should have the power for the EQ6 by then so what to try that night :)

Archived