Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

reliable weather forcasts?

lostinspace

Could anyone suggest a reliable weather forcast site? My local weather (i get off the BBC website) has been consistently wrong. It has forcast rain for four days solid and its been stunning weather. Ive lost a weekend of viewing as ive been unable to plan ahead! i`m sure some guy looks out of the window in the morning and makes it up on the spot.

thanks in advance guys

john

I use MetCheck (Metcheck.com - UK Weather Forecasts - Live Data - Long Range Weather Forecasts) to get a general idea. Select your location and then click on "Hobbies" in the top menu and then on Astronomy. It will give you predicted cloud cover at different altitudes and where there is risk of rain.

It's not always accurate, but beats the BBC forecast any time. I think there's no such thing as reliable weather forecast for the UK.

reliable weather forcasts? hmm not sure they exist :D

I normally check two or three. If they are in agreement i know the confidence is high. But otherwise it's just wait and see. Last night was a typical example. Forecast was poor with Metoffice giving some clear spells after 1am and Metcheck saying cloudy all night. It was clear as a bell from 3pm to 3am.....saw Jupiter rising with the moon at 3.15am. And put in 3 hours straight of observing. Had i listened to the forecasts yesterday, i wouldn't have bothered with the pool, lighting the BBQ or setting up the scope.

I think there's no such thing as reliable weather forecast for the UK.

Wrong. I can give you a 100% reliable weather forecast, it's just that it would be so unspecific as to be useless.

Wrong. I can give you a 100% reliable weather forecast, it's just that it would be so unspecific as to be useless.

Ah that would be the Metoffice long range forecast. Some of their ones have been hilarious:

chance of sun and showers, temps average or possibly a little higher or lower, some cloud or some clearer skies.

Basically all bases covered....how can they lose?

I tend to use BBC for long-term forecasts, and then use SAT24.com, Satellite Weather Europe. Watch the Clouds and Sun over Europe and http://raintoday.co.uk to give me the data on the night in question.

Me too, Richie, but just sometimes the totally weird occurs. Once the live satellite showed total cover all over Europe but here the night was perfect. It got its own back a few weeks later, though, wth the reverse. I have no explanation whatever to offer.

Meteoblue is probbaly as good as it gets but forecasting accuracy falls off catastrophically for more than a couple of days ahead. I never worry about the 5 day here, not worth it.

Olly

thanks guys. with all those to reference i could offer an acurate forecast of my own.

you would think they would share there info so that their predictions had a chance of being reliable at least.

wishfull thinking me thinks,

john

Round here we don't half miss the Aberporth facility.

Used to be able to just phone it up and get a very accurate 3 - 4 day forecast, which is long gone now sadly.

The loss of it's had a really bad impact on farming round here too.:D

Archived