Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally started my pier

Ferox

Got the pier base done after 6 months thinking about it and earning enough brownie points :D.

Ordered a pier top mount from Gary1968.

So the next job is to get the pier made. Can't wait to get done and use it! :D

post-14333-133877452652_thumb.jpg

post-14333-133877452659_thumb.jpg

Looking good Ferox. The top section of your Pier Top is almost complete mate. I am still awaiting delivery of the base plates though so its going to be into next week before I can get it finished now. I will keep you updated.....

Gary

• 2 months later...

The pier is now finished :).

The concrete base is about 70cm cubed with a raised central section. The pier is 3mm stainless steel pipe and 5mm stainless plate tig welded and stainless bolts. The pier top from Gary fits a treat (will put a pic on tomorrow) and looks the biz :blob10:.

post-14333-13387747897_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

It's been a long time since I posted pics of the pier and I've just realised I never posted pictures of the finished obsy. So here's the monstrosity as swmbo calls it (the flowers are her 'suggestion')

post-1687-0-59206500-1390260186_thumb.jp

post-1687-0-45333300-1390260202_thumb.jp

post-1687-0-63265300-1390260216_thumb.jp

I'm intrigued. I guess from the pictures here that a pier is your permanently fixed post onto which you can fix your scope.

Apart from the obvious attraction of marking your territory like a Grizzly Bear, what is the benefit of a pier? Is it stability, or something else?

I never have to do a polar align just a once a month check

I can stick a scope,on it and switch the power on and very thing is go

stability if I kik the pier it hurts me not the scope

If I image one night all I have to do is hibernate the mount next day all I do is fire it back up and start imaging still on target

If you have lots of people round there's no worry the mount tripod will be getting kicked all over the place

It's endless

It's been a long time since I posted pics of the pier and I've just realised I never posted pictures of the finished obsy. So here's the monstrosity as swmbo calls it (the flowers are her 'suggestion')

How do you attach the owl's nest head to the pier?

Archived