Large fields of view sharp to the very edge. The large field of view of an Ethos is so big it's very hard for you to see all edges at the same time. This gives a feeling of immersion and to a certain degree makes it feel the scope is not there. You can look to one side then the other... to use a common sales pitch "it's like a window to space".

As to the aberration free feature, that is only important once you go to very fast scopes under f/6. On your SCT cheaper wide field EPs should behave well and the difference wouldn't be much.

And yeah the value is high. I got all mags I need with a Nagler 31t6 and an Ethos 10mm plus 2 quality barlows. I did spend more on EPs then on the scope and all other extras, but EPs can be used on any scope so I see them as items for a lifetime.

Televue are indeed absolutely superb eyepieces that will work in any scope from a slow SCT to the fastest newt, but it's their quality control that sets them apart from most other brands. There is no such thing as a Televue lemon, the eyepiece is perfect or they don't ship it.

The one eyepiece in the Televue range that isn't quite as good optically is the 8-24 zoom as it's not actually made by Televue but bought in, although it does go through the same quality control checks before it leaves Televue.

Pentax are also superb, but not exactly cheap :D!

John

I bought my TeleVue plossls 10 years ago and I'm still using them. The more expensive types give you the same quality of view over a wider field. Personally I'm only interested in what's in the middle of the field, so the plossls are all I need.

So a good staring poitn woul dbe there Plossl Range?

Yeah, I have started with the Plossl range as of last week. :D

Superb eyepieces, so very sharp.

I'll be upgrading to Radians when the piggy bank starts to fill again.....

My TV Plossls (and 13mm Nagler) are over twenty five years old and still going strong!! They'll outlive me...:D

Many telescopes have come and gone over the years, but not the TV eyepieces.

Where else would you have a item of such good quality and so long lasting?? ;):D

( As I was typing that, I realised the Space Shuttle is about the same age....Hmmmm)

Ken

What a nice thread! I agree. I have 4 premium TVs (4.8 Nagler, 10 Radian, 19 Panoptic and 35 Panoptic.) They are a constant delight and are getting old gracefully.

In our fast 20 inch Dob nothing else cleans up the edge of field like they do and in the TEC 140 apo perfect optics meet perfect optics for a - perfect view!!

Olly

My TV Plossls (and 13mm Nagler) are over twenty five years old and still going strong!! They'll outlive me...:D

Many telescopes have come and gone over the years, but not the TV eyepieces.

Where else would you have a item of such good quality and so long lasting?? :(;)

( As I was typing that, I realised the Space Shuttle is about the same age....Hmmmm)

Ken

That's reassuring. :D

The only thing that I don't like about Televue eyepieces is the damage they do to my bank account :D

John

I know, it's going to be a lean month for me! :D

It's worth it though. I was fed up with the egde distortion the Skywatcher Plossl eye pieces had.

So a good staring point would be there Plossl Range?

The plossls could be a good place to start but equally you could look out for a second hand ep they tend to hold their value but IMO it's a price worth paying. If you fancy getting into wide field ep's a Nagler 17mm type 4 would be great in your scope.

Well - here's another advert for TV. Just started building my collection with 3 radians (12, 8, and 5mm). Best pieces in my set - what more can I say. Not many TV's around for much under 200 notes brand new - but you can get 1/3rd to a 1/2 off buying s/h :D

One thing I've noticed is that the second hand prices of Naglers in particular have been creeping up lately. A T6 Nagler such as a 7mm or 9mm that used to go for about £140.00 not that long ago now seem to average about £160.00 and even some of the old Type 1 Naglers that used to go for about £99.00 have been fetching much higher prices.

John

Archived