Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Still Learning the CCD QHY9 : Bodes

Catanonia

Here is my second image, learning like crazy with the new stuff.

Worked out FITS, Headers, how to stack in DSS, convert to FITS, convert to channels, re-merge to LRGB etc etc etc and the list goes on.

It is fun, lots of fun.

Well here is an attempt on M81 and M82 Bodes in full moon light for LRGB, so definately not the best conditions. No LP filters were used on 5 min subs for LRGB, so the QHY 2inch filters are really good and calibrated well to remove the LP

LRGB (140:40:40:40) on QHY9 with QHY 2inch filters

Imaged on Skywatcher ED120 Pro Diamond Black Refractor 900mm, F7.5

Guided with EQ6Pro, ED80, QHY5, PHD

Processed with MaximDL, DSS and CS3

Managed to get flats and bias sorted, but couldn't get MaximDL to take them properly without errors, so single processed the LRGB in DSS and re-combined them after messing with the FITS headers etc.

Not brilliant, but was under 90% moonlight the other night, but all learning process in the short nights before the winter.

Well enough of the excuses, here is my 2nd ever CCD shot. I added the diffraction spikes because I liked them and they seemed to frame the picture nicely.

Bodes Galaxies.jpg

This was my previous attempt at these galaxies with the 1000D under good conditions, ok only 80 mins worth, but never really got any better than this... I have learnt a bit more processing skills, but there is a definate difference between the two.

Bodes DSLR.jpg

I must say that the rumours of the QHY9 are old rumours of the 1st run of these CCD camera's. I have seen the posts, but these have been sorted, the camera is awesome, large format and cheap.

Cat

The camera issss amazing, this image is brillian, and what a difference!

Seriously a stunning image, I recon POW?

Yeah it is a good camera but a steep learning curve.

I took each LRGB channel and processed them individually with DSS, flats, bias. Then processed them individually with CS3 before converting back to FITS (changing headers) and combining into a LRGB in MaximDL. It was back to CS3 then with the combined for proper adjustment and balancing resulting in the piccy above.

Thanks for the compliments :)

Thats a super result....very rich in colour and a huge difference to the previous.....im not fully understanding the problem with your flats and why you had to convert them......is there a problem with Maxim running that camera?

Thats a super result....very rich in colour and a huge difference to the previous.....im not fully understanding the problem with your flats and why you had to convert them......is there a problem with Maxim running that camera?

I was adding the raw fits into MaximDL from 2 nights so slight misalignment that MaximDL should handle.

If I used only the data and no bias or flats they would stack.

If I added in the bias or stacks, then maximdl would error out with "An error has occured, could not generate the group" message. Not very helpful. Tried all sorts with the calibration wizard etc. I think it is probably lack of maxim knowledge on my part hence the longer route and maybe more profitable route I took.

Cat

I was adding the raw fits into MaximDL from 2 nights so slight misalignment that MaximDL should handle.

If I used only the data and no bias or flats they would stack.

If I added in the bias or stacks, then maximdl would error out with "An error has occured, could not generate the group" message. Not very helpful. Tried all sorts with the calibration wizard etc. I think it is probably lack of maxim knowledge on my part hence the longer route and maybe more profitable route I took.

Cat

Hmm.... is that maxim version 5 you are using and do use an auto star alignment?

Yes Maxim5 and autostar alignment. Pretty much taking the default settings with MaximDL at the moment as I learnt all its tricks.

My process currenlty now is

1. DSS channels LRGB individually with their lights, flats and bias.

2. Save as FIT

3. Open in MaximDL 5 and convert to mono

4. Add FILTER to fits header and name to Red, Green etc

5. Repeat for all channels.

6. Load all into Maxim stacker and combine to give LRGB.

Works well

ah ok....first thing, auto is good for saving time....BUT not always the best way....... best thing to do is a use two star manual alignment and choose a star in one of the top corners then one in the lower opposite corner....its important to pick a star that is not over saturated and make sure star cetroid and the auto resize boxes are ticked.

I have found when using auto it can have trouble aligning especially when combining broadband and narrow band frames....if you dont get good frame alignment your end image can lose sharpness and detail.....IMO its worth the extra time

Wonderful stuff Cat... am on your tail :)

My Mono is in the horizon... :D

Just which one , I cant make my mind up... I'll pop over to berns site

and check the QH9 out :headbang:

Guy..

Good image Cat, but to my eyes, a bit over saturated in the magenta. good details in both galaxies, however. Feint arms in 81 but not burnt the core out, and the jets are just starting to show in 82! Great result!!

Don't know much about the QHYs but I use Maxim for all my aquisition, aligning and stacking as follows:

1. I have a Master Calibration folder that has 101 bias frames and 11 darks of each - 60s, 120s, 300s, 600s, 900s *

2. I then have a seperate folder for the flats for the object I have taken

3. In Set Calibration, set the Auto Generate option to Keep Old and point to the flats folder

4. Open all light frames

5. Calibrate all

6. Batch save to a new folder

7. Using a batch process, run pinpoint against each frame

8. Astrometric align

9. Batch save to a new folder

10. Use Russel Crowman free plugin to do SigmaReject combine

11. Save

12. DDP/Histo stretch as needed, save as new FITS and TIFF for CS4 processing

I'll also use the quality functions in the Stacking dialog to measure roundness to ensure I use best quality frames as well....

HTH :)

* Why only 11? Well, I did some research and found various references to 5x the light frame exposure. Being cautious I doubled that, and then added an extra to give an odd number of frames. I then created MasterDarks in Maxim and let Maxim figure out which one to use....

Thanks Daz, saved this for reference. My saved fav list is getting huge now :) Gotta love SGL.

Currently using the clouds to get a library of flats (binned and unbinned) along with various darks.

No problem, hope it helps.

I would certainly do the library of darks, but flats I would do each session, purely because of the potential for change....

That is my plan :)

Sticking to -30c as seems a stable temperature the QHY9 can maintain with a breeze, pardon the pun :D

Archived